Traveler for CD 26

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vern/Lenore Durkee

Traveler for CD 26

Post by Vern/Lenore Durkee »

Hello, everyone--Our first summer has been spent getting used to sailing Quetzal II and learning how to enter our slip without scaring everyone in the vicinity. It has been wonderful. However, we have NOT been able to get comfortable with the mainsheet system. As you know, there is no "traveler" as such on the 26 and there's a lot of mainsheet length to deal with. A CD 25 here has a traveler right where the lid to the engine access is on our boat, so that's not an option. Our local boat yard has mentioned installing a traveler, but the only possibility might be over the cabin or--as we have seen on a McGregor moored nearby--on the deck at the entry to the cabin. I see problems with either arrangement. Any suggestions? Or should we just trim 10+ feet off both mainsheets and leave it at that?

Thank you.

--Lenore Durkee, Ithaca NY
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Mid-boom traveler

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Lenore:

I'm not that familiar with the 26, but you might consider mounting a mid-boom traveler on the bridgedeck, just aft of the companionway. That's the way my boat came, and it does give me nice control of the main--including the ability to tweak the boom to windward when sailing to upwind.

One of Creme Brulee's previous owners installed this traveler, perhaps so he/she could mount a Bimini. The PO said it was there when he bought the boat.

However, this system has considerable drawbacks: Namely, it makes getting in and out of the cabin difficult while under way, and it severely limits sitting space.

In fact, I've been considering going back to the original traveler configuration on my 25D, which does have a track aft of the tiller. It looks like an old genoa track, and I'm not sure what I would use for a traveler car.

Still, if you're looking for a traveler and have no place to mount one abaft the cockpit, this might be worth considering.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Traveler for CD26

Post by George Shaunfield »

Lenore,

I only have one mainsheet on my CD26. On the starboard side it is knoted at the deck-level block. Guess I cannot see any benefit to having both ends adjustable. I have a good deal of excess length, but never checked to see how much. I often put the excess on the lazerette lid when sailing, if not too much heel.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

George
Steve Zwicky
Hull #24 Charleston, SC

Traveler for CD 26

Post by Steve Zwicky »

Hi Lenore, I have a CD 26 and had the same frustrations with the mainsheet. Several years ago I bought a Harken track and mounted it on the bridgedeck. I got the mid-boat size which has blocks on either end to control the movement/location of the car. It gives me much better control of the main and allows us to sail with the bimini up. I fastened a teak board in front of the track to make it more comfortable to step below. It is one of the better improvements I've made to the boat.
Steve Zwicky
"Lauretta" - CD26
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

CD26

Post by drysuit2 »

Lenore,

I’ve been sailing the CD 26 for 20 some years now. And while that triangle mainsheet configuration is “different”: it has its advantages.
Yes, it’s a lot of line; but that line gives you a lot of mechanical advantage, and is especially forgiving under heavy loads [like accidental jibes]. During controlled jibes, I just grab a hand full of mainsheet to ease the boom across the deck, instead of sheeting in & out through the blocks. The design spreads out all that stress to the boat [no point loading, like a mid boom, or traveler system].

You do have to pay attention to all that extra line. [I just pay it out on the cockpit sole, on ether side of the tiller]. True, it is a bit of a pain when easing the sheet in light air, . You will however, will appreciate the ability to sheet in or out from windward or leeward when single handling.

Lastly, with the CD’s balsa cored deck, adding hardware like a traveler requires major surgery to reinforce the attachment points. Something I would prefer not to do.

I would give it till the end of the season before I decided to start drilling holes.

Hope this helps,

Frank