ketch jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Hud Smith

ketch jib

Post by Hud Smith »

We just picked up our new to us 30 ketch on Buzzards Bay and moved it down to the Chesapeake. Great boat and a great time. One thing that seemed strange was the club footed jib. In order to raise and lower the jib I had to loosen the outhaul, otherwise the sail wouldn't go up or down past the point perpendicular to the top of the club foot. Is this normal, or do we have a replacement jib that was cut wrong? Thanks for any help.
Hud
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Genny

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Hud,

I had a ketch, but the club boom was removed and a 165 Genny installed. I put up the 100% jib once to see how the boat handled it in medium winds (5-10 kts) - NOT well. No pick-up, slow, etc.
Look around for a 140-165 Genny, and then do some comparison sailing. I would think with the light winds you will gradually use the Genny all the time.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Steve Laume

Club footed sail

Post by Steve Laume »

Having had two different club footed staysails on our boat, I feel your pain. Well it is much more joy than pain really. the club boom makes tacking in tight quarters a joy. I love cruising around a mooring field and being able to tack at will.

Back to your original question. The first sail we used had a lose rope with hanks on it that attached to the stay. I did know the name of this rope but I have now forgotten more than I ever knew. When the sail was lowered it would create slack in this line and that would allow the sail to move down and back so the outhaul did not have to be loosened. It looked very salty and worked quite well.

The new sail I have now does not have this feature and like you I need to loosen the outhaul in order to lower the sail all the way. It is not that big a problem. You can douse the sail quickly and put one tie on it without messing with the outhaul. I then come back and loosen it when I do my best imatation of a proper flaking job and put on the sail cover. It is probably better for the sail to have the tension released on the outhaul anyway.

I finally put the genoa that came with my boat several seasons ago on the furler and took off the staysail. It is supposed to be the best light air set up but I am not so sure I like it. I will give it some time but it seems the sheets want to foul on the forward hatch and visibility is greatly reduced. I also lose my auto tack feature and a great deal of versatility in sail plan when the wind picks up.

Don't worry about the outhaul. It is not to much to ask to have to deal with that to enjoy all the benefits it has to offer. The least of which is not that our boats look so damn salty with the yankee and staysail flying.

Fair winds, Steve.
Stan W.

Re: ketch jib

Post by Stan W. »

Hud Smith wrote:One thing that seemed strange was the club footed jib. In order to raise and lower the jib I had to loosen the outhaul, otherwise the sail wouldn't go up or down past the point perpendicular to the top of the club foot. Is this normal, or do we have a replacement jib that was cut wrong?
It is hard to describe in words, but the bottom couple of hanks are supposed to be laced to the sail rather than bent onto the sail for exactly this reason. I'll try to post a picture of my old club jib if I get a chance. In the meantime, any good sailmaker or rigger should know what you're talking about and be able to demonstrate how it's supposed to look.
Russell

Post by Russell »

My staysail, before I converted to furling on it, used to have the same problem, I would have to loosen the outhaul in order to raise it or lower it. It was a pain, especially since the outhaul was on the end that tends to bounce around a lot. I dont really understand the methods other posters are explaining to solve this issue, but I am very curious to understand myself.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Jack line

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Hud:
What's missing on your jib is a "jack line". Shame on the sailmaker for not adding one.
Unlike the mainsail which drops straight down along a vertical mast; the jib tries to drop straight down but the hanks are pulled outward as they slide down the angled forestay. The jackline allows the hanks to move forward as the jib is lowered.
I have an article on jib jacklines written by Hervey Garret Smith. If you like, I can e-mail you a copy.
Regards,
Tony Jeke
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
Sailing with a jackline in San Diego
Hud Smith

thanks

Post by Hud Smith »

I wondered what those spare grommets on the sail were for. I'm thinking you start about half way up the luff, fixing a line to a grommet. Then run that line down, through a hank which is attached to the fore stay, but not the sail. Then I guess I keep looping in and out of the sail, attaching to a loose hank all the way down. Then raise the sail, tighten the added line, and tie it off. Then lower the sail, and the slack created in the line by the sail dropping (grommet to grommet) should give the sail room to get past the tight spot. Eureka! Thanks to everyone for the info.
Tony- I'll pm you for an email.
Hud
Ed Haley

Sail jack Lines on the hanks

Post by Ed Haley »

As Tony Jeske indicated, a sailmaker can convert your sail to one that lowers and raises easily by installing jacklines in the lower 3 sail hanks. This installation adds flexibility to the luff of the jib so that it will easily fold/flake on the staysail boom without being tight at the foot. It's an easily done job and should cost under $100. Then the sail cover should go on easily as well without adjusting the outhaul.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Good for all sails on booms

Post by Jim Davis »

Also I like them on my main and mizzen, up to the upper reef point. Lets the sail come down to the boom without having to take slides off the track. It makes reefing a lot safer and faster.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei