Replacing My CD33 Stove

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Evans

Replacing My CD33 Stove

Post by Jim Evans »

As many of us, I went through quite a debate on how best to replace the old Hiller alcohol stove on my CD33. After weighing all the options, I decided to go with the Origo 3000. I also decided that add'l galley storage would be more useful for me than an oven (I hope that time bears this out), so I built a "box" to hold my new stove and provide storage in place of the oven. The photo below shows the result of my efforts. I used the original Hiller gimbals. The box is constructed of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood, faced with laminate to match the galley. Teak trim finishes the edges. The right side of the cabinet has wine glass runners, so I now have a suitable place to store wine glasses, with a few bottles of wine underneath the glasses. So far, I'm happy with the changes. I don't miss the Hiller! (BTW, this is my first photo posting on the Board - I hope I got it right!)

[img]http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x195 ... G_3996.jpg[/img]
Jim Evans
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Replacing Stove

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jim

I envy you. I think that I'm in the same boat as Andy D and several other posters. We're almost there when being able to post pictures, but not quite. Hang tight, we'll get it some day.

I am interested in your stove installation, but unfortunately, I couldn't get the pictures to appear. I don't know if it is just me and that others saw the new stove, or what. Maybe I made a mistake in typing the address. I have to mention that it is a very long address to type in.

Well thanks. You keep trying and so will I.

Best regards,
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

I was able to see the URL, by copy/pasting the link.

The instalation looks terrific, great job really, one wouldnt know from the photos that it was not a factory job. Personally I would miss the oven, but I liveaboard full time, big difference. One thing I do wonder though, the way you installed this, it appears the stove is not going to be gimballed and thus will not be able to be used at sea. That would be unfortunate in the long run if you intend to do more then day sails (coffee is essential at night at sea!). Looks terrific though, and the extra storage is always a huge bonus.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

j. evans, what a wonderful job you've done! I would love to do the same on my 1981 CD-33! Unfortunately, I do not have the same talent as you. Did you also redo your floor? It is gorgeous. As is the small wood garbage basket. Where do you keep your boat? Mine is Hull #73.

Here are the pictures of your fantastic remodeling job. I envy you!
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 850940.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 850804.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 850803.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 8507fc.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 850806.jpg[/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Judith

Pictures

Post by Judith »

Zeida, thanks for posting these!

j.evans, your stove/cabinet installation is gorgeous! Congrats on a beautiful job.

As for missing the oven: if you haven't used it much in the past, you probably won't miss it on down the line. Although I use my home oven a great deal, I don't much notice the lack of one on the boat, since Morveren's never had one. And so far, there's always been a way to improvise around it when an oven seems necessary.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Rebinva

What a great job, thanks for sharing that with us!!! nm

Post by Rebinva »

xyx
Oswego John

New Stove Installation

Post by Oswego John »

Zeida,

How thoughtful of you to share those photos with the rest of us. Thank you so much.

(Between you, me and the lamppost, I still can't get the pictures to come up.) DUH

J Evans, you can be proud of that job. Dynamite workmanship.

Best regards to everyone,
O J
Jim Evans

Thanks, Zeida!

Post by Jim Evans »

Zeida - how in the world did you post my photos?! There must be a trick, as I followed Cathy's directions to the T. BTW, my hull is #59.

The garbage can is from Welcome-Aboard.com. Follow this link: http://www.mailordercentral.com/welcome ... =1&mitem=1. I had to cut 3 inches off the top so it would fit under the access door for the old alcohol tank (now removed) for the Hiller stove. I ordered it unfinished, and finished it with Interlux #60 (satin varnish). The company was great; when I told them I needed to cut it down, they included some teak veneer to cover the cut edges. I think the garbage can fits well in the cabin - I attached it to the galley panel with adhesive velcro tape, and added 1/4" rubber bumpers as feet so I can remove the bilge access panel.
Jim Evans
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Message deleted - I didn't mean to post

Post by SeaBelle »

n/m
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Oswego John

New Stove

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

Eureka. I have found it.

Arpeggio Maestro, if you please. Drum roll, Ta-Dah. Flourish mitt der flugelhorns.

Yes, indeed. I have found a way to bring out the new stove pictures, and I just did it. Yeaaah for me.

But there's more to the story. You see, I didn't do it all by myself. A very distinguished sailing brother from Maine sent me a PM describing in detail what the magic words to say were, in order for the pictures to magically appear on my monitor.

Far be it from me to be called a name dropper, so I won't divulge the name of the kind person who set me straight. About all I will tell you is that when you are bored and want to be a bold sailor, shake your reef. The only tool you will ever need on your ship is a hammer. Ka-peesh?

And here's the clincher to raising the pictures, - or what not to do. When I was scrolling prior to Copying and Pasting the address, I was including the brackets in the address. Something like including "No Spam" in an address, url or Img. You gotta be careful.

Wait a minute. Not so fast. The plot thickens.

J Evans provided us with three pictures of his new stove. Now can someone tell me where the other two pictures came from? One of them is the pic of the waste basket and the other is an overhead, angle shot of the stove top.

Waiting with bated breath,
O J
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

O J, there was obviously a mistake in the amount of pictures quoted. He said 3, but for sure, there were five!

Hey, so now you too can look at pictures, huh? Every new day brings something good with it!.

My day was fabulous, since I spent it on my boat, sailing in Biscayne Bay, all by myself. the colors in the water were magical today... a slew of different shades of greens and blues, with the water as clear as vodka. There was not much wind, just enough of a cool breeze. So I motored-sailed, with the genoa unfurled, which is a pleasure. Upon returning to the marina, I tried this new (to me) technique of using a spring line to stop the boat at the slip, while keeping the bow close to the slip. It worked, although I was a bit late, but with a couple more practice runs, I should have it. This will be an improvement in my docking maneuvers while singlehanding. I have had some not so funny experiences before, but if I can master this, goodbye problems! hope to go out tomorrow again! Cheers!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Ann and David Brownlee

Stove replacement

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

We replaced the original pressure alcohol stove/oven with an Origo stove/oven. We love it, though, in truth, we've only lit up the oven a couple of times, on cold, wet afternoons, to make cornbread.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
Oswego John

New Stove

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Zeida,

This is a good thread going about stoves and I don't want to scuttle it.

However, I'm very interested in hearing what you say about tying up to a dock using a spring line.

As soon as I have the time, I will post a new thread that includes my experiences using that method.

I can't do it now. I'm on my way to the airport to greet my granddaughter, whom I call mariposa pequeña, who is returning from Barcelona after 1 1/2 years of studies to perfect her foreign languages. Total immersion.

Later. Another time, another place concerning tying up.

O J
Troy Scott

Origo 3000

Post by Troy Scott »

I had one of these years ago and loved it. I'm planning to put one in my CD36 to replace the old CNG stove/oven. (I really like CNG, but it just isn't readily available here.) My plan is to buy a nice looking stainless steel microwave oven, attach it to the bottom of the Origo 3000, and gimbal them both together.
Regards,
Troy Scott