New Experience - Broken Tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Clay Stalker

New Experience - Broken Tiller

Post by Clay Stalker »

On Saturday during a rather brisk sail, Yankee Lady said goodbye to her 27 year old tiller.....I leaned on it pretty hard and it split and splintered down near the fitting. I wish gluing it was an option, but it is too badly damaged....so she will need a new one. Getting back to the mooring was an adventure, a story for another day. Does anyone know where I can get a new tiller? Has this happened to anyone? Yankee Lady is out of commission until I replace the tiller, so any information would be greatly appreciated!
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Clay, I don't have the catalog right in front of me, but I seem to remember that West Marine sells tillers.

Bummer.

I would like to hear the story, though, at some point. Good luck, and glad you got back safely.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Nigel Noble

Post by Nigel Noble »

Exactly the same thing happened to me. You can also buy a new tiller from Defender. You can find them at defender.com based in Waterford, CT. Put the word tiller in the search box.
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Vise grips, Clay? Geez, I at least have an emergency tiller if my wheel system breaks down. I guess we have to chalk one up for the wheel. Glad you got home safe, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Clay,

Where is that emergency wheel when you need it? :D

We purchased a tiller for our last boat that was made by

H & L Marine Woodwork Inc.

I think Defender sells the stock sizes, you may find one that is close enough. They have a bunch of different stock sizes and I think they will also custom make them for you if you can't find a stock one that fits.

I can't seem to find a web page for them but pyacht.com has info on custom tillers from them. Try this link:

http://www.pyacht.net/cgi-local/SoftCar ... 1184641843

Rich
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Clay Stalker

Thanks All

Post by Clay Stalker »

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it. This tiller does not look too profound, so I am hoping to match the dimensions up with one of the stock ones from Defender or Annapolis Performance Sailing, which also has a large selection of stock ones. If not, it looks like Defender, West, and others will make a custom one if I supply the dimensions....a bit pricier though.

I did expect some ribbing, and can only say that my "emergency wheel" was left at the dock.....vice grips? Almost. I was able to jam a piece of the remaining tiller into the bracket just enough so I could control the boat under power.....the sailing that day came to an abrupt halt.....bummer. :cry:
Clay Stalker
Stan W.

H & L Marine Woodwork, Inc.

Post by Stan W. »

Clay:

All these tillers come from the same place:

H & L Marine Woodwork, Inc.
2965 E. Harcourt
Rancho Dominguez, CA 90221
Tel: (323) 636-1718
Fax: (323) 636-1720

They sell direct, but it probably would be cheaper to go through Defender.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hey Clay, can you use the old one as a template to build a new one rather than purchasing a new one?
Joe Mac Phee

Broken Tiller

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Clay,

What an experience :cry:

If there is anything I can do to help, I am available

Joe Mac Phee
Clay Stalker

Making Some Progress

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Joe:

Thanks for your kind offer. I have the pieces home with me now and have reassembled them. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find an exact match from the various places that sell them. However, it looks like there might be one that is close enough that I can make it work with some assistance from a woodworking friend of mine. The cost is just $60. rather than close to $200 for a custom made one (all from H & L as Stan said). And Cathy, I wish I had the skill to make a new one myself, but I don't. By the time I figured it out, I will be way ahead just to purchase a stock one and make it work. Thanks all for your input....looks like Yankee Lady will be out of commission for at least another few weeks. :(
Clay Stalker
Dick Barthel

Great news

Post by Dick Barthel »

Clay,

That's great news! I knew you'd figure your way out of it.

I'm down at the cottage watching Dream Weaver jumping over 5 foot waves in 25 kt winds at anchor. The wind is coming from the nne so the reef is not helping any. The 25 lb CQR hasn't budged but its still nerve racking just watching. Its time's like this you wish you put out more scope, etc. but this much wind/waves was unexpected. If I was younger I'd row out there but that ain't happening.

Good luck getting Yankee Lady back.

Dick
Clay Stalker

Pleasant Memories

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Dick:

Thanks for sharing that vision of Dream Weaver on the hook in the Sound. I have pleasant memories of the times we spent at your cottage....kinda cool sailing in, anchoring, hanging at the cottage, and sailing back out again. I still have the picture in my mind of Dream Weaver pitching up and down near the beach, her little anchor dug in well. Hope your vacation is going well.
Clay Stalker