Lifting OB Motor off dingy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Lifting OB Motor off dingy

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I am now the owner of a brand new 2.5 hp Suzuki OB, my first. I am not particularly strong or big. What is the best way to get the OB from the dingy to the boat and visa versa. Should I use a safety line of some sort. If dropped the OB will travel to the bottom very quickly. I assume I should bring it aboard through the open gate. The motor weighs 30 lbs - actually this was one reason to buy the Suzuki, the Hondas weig almost ten pounds more. One further note I have a hard, not inflatable dingy and I need to assume that this is a one person job. Thanks.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Dick,

It's much easier if you have help. Bruce just hands our new outboard to me from the dinghy and I set it over the outboard bracket on the stern and secure it there. So far that's worked well, but then it's a new outboard and we've only used it twice and in calm waters.

Another option would be to tie the dinghy amidships near the shrouds and hoist the outboard up using a halyard (that's how we get the dinghy out of the water). You'll also need some sort of harness to put around the outboard to attach the halyard to. Or if you can tie up the dinghy near the gate, you can attach a block and tackle to the end of the boom, swing the boom out over the dinghy (you'll need to use a preventer to keep it out there) and hoist the outboard up from there. The gate's closer to the cockpit so you wouldn't have to carry it so far to the stern.

Our Honda 2HP 4-stroke has a sealed internal fuel tank and the motor can be stored on its side so you can lay the thing down on deck. Can you lay your Suzuki down on its side? Anyway, this is a feature that makes an outboard a little easier to handle since you don't have to worry about keeping it upright.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
John Danicic

heave ho!

Post by John Danicic »

On Mariah, our 3.3 Mercury outboard lives on the stern rail bracket. I keep attached a 10 foot safety line from the motor's lifting handle to Mariah's stern rail while transferring it into our hard nesting dinghy and back. If you do drop it in the water, at least you can retrieve it easily. They can be repaired after an immersion.

The best way I found to single hand the transfer is to tie the dinghy so that it is over Mariah's stern and the outboard mount. I lift the motor off the bracket and then lower it down using the safety line into the dinghy's stern section sothe motor lays on it's side. Then I get in the dinghy and install the motor on the stern. After it is completely screwed down tight, I transfer the safety line from Mariah's to the dinghy's rail. Retrieval is the reverse. Attach the safety line to Mariah's stern, remove the motor, lay it down in the dinghy's stern. Back on board Mariah, I use a hand over hand method to haul it up and secure it to its bracket. 1/2 inch line or thicker is easier on your hands for this method then thin stuff.

I am not sure I could haul up a 40 or 50 pound motor up that way but it is not too hard with a 30 lb. Mercury 3.3.

heave ho and

Sail on.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior
Dick Kobayashi

Lay That Suzuki Down

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Thanks Cathy and John, I can lay the Suzuki Down (shouldn't there be music for this). The tips will give me a good starting spot as I figure this out.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

jerryaxler

outboard

Post by jerryaxler »

Last season I replaced my old 2 stroke for a new 4 stroke and the difference in size and weight was enough to make the transfer very difficult, especially in choppy water. We solved the problem by purchasing a small crane with a 4:1 pulley system that has really worked like a charm. Being a belt and suspenders type, I still use a separate safety line to prevent an inadvertant accidental dunking.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Lifting OB Motor off dingy

Post by RIKanaka »

Dick Kobayashi wrote:I am now the owner of a brand new 2.5 hp Suzuki OB, my first..... The motor weighs 30 lbs - actually this was one reason to buy the Suzuki, the Hondas weig almost ten pounds more.
I have a Honda 4-stroke 2hp long shaft. It weighs 28# dry. The short shaft weighs 27# dry. I don't what the oil capacity is but the fuel tank hold a quart, roughly 2#. Honda advertises it as "the lightest four-stroke outboard engine anywhere in the world." Maybe you're thinking of the Yamaha 2.5hp 4-stroke, which weighs 37#.

I've moved it from boat to boat without any problems and I'm not particularly big or strong either. When I move from one vessel to another I secure it to the receiving vessel with a lanyard long enough to not impede the transfer but short enough to prevent immersion of the upper end should I lose my grip on motor.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
paul marko

Boom end for O/B lifter

Post by paul marko »

I have a Yamaha 4hp 4 cycle est. weight about 60 pounds with oil and gas. I attach the "life sling" 3 to 1 tackle to the end of the boom on by CD28 and lift the O/B from the rail mount, ease it down to the dingy and away we go. I have a permanent harness on the O/B ,so it's just a matter of clipping in the life sling carbiner.

I have used this system about 4 yrs with no adverse effects.

Good Luck Paul
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Motor Mate

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Of course there's always the Motor mate by Forespar (I think). Its not permanently rigged so it stows away when not in use.

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Hi Dick,

I have had good experiences transferring my motor to the stern rail mount....and not so good experiences.

In calm water and with crew aboard it is just a matter of handing it up and they secure on the rail.

In rougher water, or if I am out with just my kids I utilize a lifting system I created. I have a nylon webbing harness which is permanently secured to the top of the engine. I use my vang/preventer with a 4:1 mechanical advantage to hoist the motor. I secure one end to the webbing and the other end to the end of my boom. I secure my dingy broadside so the motor is directly below the boom end when I swing it outboard. I am able remain in the dingy and hoist the engine up, lock off the block, and allow the engine to sit just above the lifelines. The engine will not swing totaly over the lifelines without me going topside and lifting it slightly, but it is secure.
Dick Kobayashi

Harness?

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. A harness seems to be a frequently mentioned component. Are these custom or home made items or are they commercially available.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Dick - They may be commercially available, however I fabricated one out of a length of 1/2" flat webbing and several knots. It loops around and is secured at the top of the motor so the motor lifts vertically....and the webbing is even black so it matches the engine cover.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Harness?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Dick Kobayashi wrote:Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. A harness seems to be a frequently mentioned component. Are these custom or home made items or are they commercially available.
You can either make one or buy one. Can get one from Defender, West Marine, etc. But you can easily make one from rope or webbing.
Judith

Cathy, slight change of focus

Post by Judith »

From OB to dinghy: you mention hauling your dinghy aboard using a halyard. What sort of dinghy do you have? How much does it weigh?

We found an older 8' hard dink, basically what is now a Trinka, though ours (from the previous manufacturer) has more teak. The teak does add to the weight, however, so it's not easy to haul anywhere, let alone onto the boat. Your method sounds like an interesting possibility--would you please elaborate?

Thanks.
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Cathy Monaghan

Re: Bringing the dinghy aboard

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Judith wrote:From OB to dinghy: you mention hauling your dinghy aboard using a halyard. What sort of dinghy do you have? How much does it weigh?

We found an older 8' hard dink, basically what is now a Trinka, though ours (from the previous manufacturer) has more teak. The teak does add to the weight, however, so it's not easy to haul anywhere, let alone onto the boat. Your method sounds like an interesting possibility--would you please elaborate?

Thanks.
Judith
Hi Judith,

We have an Apex infltable, about 8.5 feet long and weighs around 60 lbs I guess. We just rig a harness to the dinghy, bring it amidships (next to the shrouds) and hoist it up using a halyard. Once it's above the lifelines, we can easily swing it past the shrouds over the deck then lower it. We deflate it and roll it up on deck and store it below in the quarterberth. If our next destination is just a short daysail away and the weather's good we'll just tow it rather than bringing it aboard.

I think for your hard dinghy, if it's too difficult for you to hoist using just the halyard and a winch, attach a block and tackle to the halyard and hoist the dinghy using that on the winch. You'll need to rig at least a 3-point harness to the dinghy and attach the halyard or block and tackle to the harness.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Judith

Thanks, Cathy!

Post by Judith »

The block-tackle-halyard idea sounds eminently do-able; I expect we'll be trying that.

BTW, the subject heading ("Thanks, Cathy!") popped up automatically as I started typing: I've obviously used that before! I continue to appreciate your help :D

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.