Typhoon rudder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brent Jordan

Typhoon rudder

Post by Brent Jordan »

I am scraping a recently purchased Typhoon 19 for bottom paint and was surprised to find metal sides on the rudder, can any one educate me on the Ty 19 rudder construction and prep for the rudder for bottom paint?
Thanks,
Brent
Tim Mertinooke

Older Ty? Wooden Rudder?

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

My guess is that you have an older model Ty that might have a wooden rudder. The metal you are running across could very well be the rudder straps used to provide support and to hold the planks (correct term?) in place. If the rudder appears to be FRP with these straps (if that is what they are in your case) attached to the outside, then a previous owner probably fiberglassed over the wood. Over time, encapsulating wood with FRP especially below the waterline can be a real problem if water makes its way in which it usually always does. Of course I could be wrong. Post some pictures.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
bcgreen51
Hull #105
Tallahassee, Florida

Metal sides on Typhoon rudder

Post by bcgreen51 »

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking at, but there has been a problem (you'll find posts on this board) with some Typhoon rudders getting some separation between the fiberglass rudder and the bronze rod. You might be seeing a repair made to that. That happened to my Typhoon, and I purchased a "rudder repair kit" from Bristol Bronze, which consisted of two copper straps that I attached around the rod, then through the fiberglass rudder.
Ben