Boat for Sea Hunt?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Boat for Sea Hunt?

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Sea Hunt, I sent you a PM about a CD 25 for sale.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Jerry:

I apologize for the delay in responding. I thought I had sent you a PM in response.

Thanks very much for thinking of me and my search for a Cape Dory.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin is just too far away. The cost to transport this CD 25 to Miami would be almost as much as the boat itself - between $4,500 and $5,000. These days, most transport companies charge $2.85 - $3.00 per mile plus a fuel surcharge:!:

This CD 25 should go to a good home/berth in Wisconsin.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

How to save on shipping . . .

Post by John D. »

There are Cape Dory owners evenly spaced along the East Coast between you and any CD25D you can find. I'll volunteer to crew for you for the Chesapeake Bay stretch. I'll bet others would do the same for the ICW from Virginia Beach south. So, as long as you're willing to travel to buy, you could broaden your search radius.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello John:

Thank you very much. This is a very, very kind offer. I am grateful.

The particular CD 25 (not a CD 25D) Jerry referenced in his earlier post is berthed in Wisconsin. No reasonable way to motor/sail her to Miami.

I may be looking at 2-3 CD 25Ds in the Ct./R.I. area and will certainly consider the option of motoring/sailing down the ICW. However, even with experienced CDers along the way to help out, I think it still may be more than my present abilities. Of course, those who do volunteer to help will quickly learn I am not kidding about my "tadpole" status as a sailor.

The owner of the Sea Sprite 23 is back in Miami and I hope to go look at this sailboat next week even though it is not a CD. He says he got rid of the bees/flies. The big advantage is she is berthed almost "in my backyard". No transport costs except maybe a ½ gallon of gas.

There is also a CD 25D in the northern part of Florida (Panhandle area) that I want to look at. I checked out the ICW route along the west coast of Florida. Unfortunately, there appears to be a lot of open water sailing, particularly from Pensacola south to Ft. Myers.

Again, John, thank you very much for your offer.

I take this opportunity to respectfully ask everyone next week to remember our men and women in uniform - past and present. Regardless of how you personally feel about any particular part of our country’s present foreign policies, those who voluntarily serve this country are truly our blood and treasure - as they have always been. They have earned our respect. This coming week, those who have given all especially deserve our respect and our remembrance.

35-40 years ago those who served and came home alive and those who served and died in the rice paddies of Vietnam were too often wrongly vilified for a policy and politics they had nothing to do with. They were serving their country -whether enlisted or drafted. Thankfully, almost all Americans now rightly separate their personal political feelings from their wish to honor, and recognize the service and sacrifice of, our young men and women.

Whether you do so on Monday, 28 May, or on the more traditional Memorial Day, 30 May, take a moment to remember what so many have given and sacrificed over the past 230-plus years of our Nation’s history.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
wingreen

FL west coast sailing

Post by wingreen »

It's true, Seahunt, that you don't pick up the west coast ICW until you hit Anclote Key in the northern reaches of the Bay area.

But I can assure you that you have nothing to fear about open water sailing in the eastern Gulf. The waves are usually nothing more than ripples, and the water is not very deep. There are places where you can literally be 5 miles from shore and standing chest deep in water. Just keep the coastline in sight and you'll be fine.

If you want help on the Tampa leg of your journey, I'll be happy to hop on board for a day or two.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Sea Hunt,

As John and Wingreen said there are plenty of Cape Dory Sailors who will help you get your boat home, and the ICW is a joy to travel on both the Atlantic and Gulf sections. It is 160 km from Carabelle to Anclote, not a terrible outside passage, and a piece of cake if you wait for a good weather window; but go soon, hurricane season peaks in September, and heat and thunderstorms get only worse from now till then. But first you have to buy a boat, remember "tadpoles" have two choices; grow gills or get eaten.

Steve Kuhar
Ron M.

North East Inventory

Post by Ron M. »

Seahunt,
If you come up to New England there are 2 Typhoons, a 22' and a 26' presently on the market here on Cape Cod. With some research you could possibly locate a few more in this region. Sailing a boat 1000 miles or more to your home base would remove the moniker of "tadpole" to at least "novice" sailor. if you want more info pm me.
________
Dodge A100 History
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Tadpole status

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> However, even with experienced CDers along the way to help out, I think it still may be more than my present abilities. <<

The whole idea is that by bringing experienced crew along with you, you don't need any initial experience yourself. Many of us would be happy to take a delivery leg even if we single hand the boat.

Think of yourself as an owner having engaged a delivery skipper or two, with you just going along for the ride. You'll learn a little bit every day and be amazed at how competent an owner/skipper you'll be by the end of the voyage.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698