Yanmar 1GM Problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Yanmar 1GM Problem

Post by seadawg »

It was a beautiful day for a sail today on Corpus Christi Bay but it wasn't to be. I've owned this 22D for about 4 years now and have never had a problem with the engine until today. Upon start-up the engine ran less than a minute and died. The alarm was sounding and there was no cooling water being vented at the transom. The scary part was that the cabin filled with smoke but there was no fire that I could find. The intake filter seemed to be burnt carbon pieces laying beside the engine. The engine ran perfect the last time I had it out about 10 days ago. There is no water in the oil and the compression feels normal with the hand crank. I installed a new impeller and it is turning but in using the hand crank there is very little pressure, not enough to lift the water to the exaust input. I'm stumped! Any ideas out there would be very much appreciated. Thanks Charlie.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Sounds like the engine started running backwards. This can happen to single cylinder/small diesels. This would explain soot near intake and no water ejecting from transom exhaust.

Check exhaust system for clogs, back pressure could force engine to fire in reverse. Muffler may have filled with too much water when you tried cranking over engine. If muffler has drain fitting, drain some water and try starting again.

Do a search on the word "diesel backwards" and read through archive posts.

Good luck.
Dean Abramson

Question

Post by Dean Abramson »

Was your cooling water intake seacock for sure open? Could it have vibrated shut? The first thing I would be looking at is cooling water issues.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Yanmar 1GM Problem

Post by seadawg »

Dog Watch Ray got it right! Consider the para a hug ( ). You made my day bright today! Reflecting, the combination of slightly low batterys and "tapping" the starter button instead of holding it in longer seems to be the culprit. Thanks again, Charlie.