Mint Julips - Derby tip

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marilou

Mint Julips - Derby tip

Post by marilou »

3 Tops of mint sprigs
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 ounce water
1 1/2 oz. bourbon

Sprinkle sugar over mint. Wth a muddler, mash mint and sugar together. Add water. Let stand a few minutes. Add bourbon fill with crushed ice. Stir, add more ice. Top with mint sprig. Put in fridge to frost. Sweeten with more bourbon.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Fantastic. .. this is my kind of thread!

Post by henry hey »

I've been making a lot of journeys to the boat yard and putting in some good hours getting my CD ready for the season. As many know, mother nature can be quite the tease during the New York spring time. One evening in March -- after a fairly warm day -- I decided to make myself a Gin and Tonic. I think of Gin and Tonic as quite the summery drink and I wanted to urge the sailing season along as quickly as possible.

Let us all think warm weather sailing thoughts and post those summertime drink recipies.

h
wingreen

Florida Margarita

Post by wingreen »

3 - 6 parts key lime juice, sweetened to taste
2 parts tequila
1 part triple sec

Shake it up in crushed ice and throw it in your cooler for those hot, still Florida afternoons.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Grog!

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Somewhere back in the archives of this board we had a long discussion of grog. I think the recipe for that...a real salty sailors libation..is in there! :roll:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Grog!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Warren Kaplan wrote:Somewhere back in the archives of this board we had a long discussion of grog. I think the recipe for that...a real salty sailors libation..is in there! :roll:
Was that the one where you mix rum and water, then soak the body of a dead admiral for a month or more before inbibing?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

the name sells it

Post by wingreen »

Any drink with a name like "Grog" is meant to be on a sailboat.

Black Strap - another great name for sailing spirits.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

My forte

Post by henry hey »

I am new to a few of these drinks (making them) but the one drink that I do VERY well (if I dare say so) is a bloody mary.

Although it isn't a typical sailor drink, it does help in the morning after a lively evening before at the anchorage.

My new conquest is to learn how to make an exquisite Mojito.

Any thoughts?

h
wingreen

mojito

Post by wingreen »

1 part lime juice
1 part rum (most prefer cuban rum, but myers will do fine)
crushed mint and sugar to taste (just like the mint julep)
float some soda water on top
henry hey wrote:I am new to a few of these drinks (making them) but the one drink that I do VERY well (if I dare say so) is a bloody mary.

Although it isn't a typical sailor drink, it does help in the morning after a lively evening before at the anchorage.

My new conquest is to learn how to make an exquisite Mojito.

Any thoughts?

h