Ascenders (e.g. ATN TopClimber) or Ladders (e.g. MastMate)?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frank Vernet

Ascenders (e.g. ATN TopClimber) or Ladders (e.g. MastMate)?

Post by Frank Vernet »

The posts on this topic are several years old, so I thought I'd ask the question again as I need to choose between the two methods.

Thanks and...happy climbing!
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Hurst Marine Getup Mast Ladder

Post by Carter Brey »

Frank,

I used this product with my CD25. It was great-- saved my arse a couple of times. I intend to get another one for my S28. The name is only embarrassing for a little while.

One advantage it has over the Mast Mate is that you specify what slugs you use and it comes with them already installed.

Take care,
Carter

http://hurst-marine.co.uk/
John R.
Florida

Post by John R. »

I own and use a MastMate. It's a decent piece of gear, well made. I still prefer a bosuns chair but I never trust the dude on the deck that has my life and limb in his hands. Because of that the MastMate provides a better sense of self preservation. It's a little awkward feeling at first because when you take a step the weight of your body causes the entire device to shift a limited distance to the side because of the webbing flex. It's just a feeling you have to get used to. Your security is only limited by the security of the halyard and your own attention to climbing because the MastMate itself is not going to fail you unless it may have been highly abused over a period of time. I always use two extra halyards as back up safety lines and a MastMate safety belt that wraps around the mast when I venture above the spreaders. The biggest drawback to these type of devices is the inability to be able to swing out to your speader tips, headstay or backstay for service needs. The most important aspect to using one is to secure it tightly at the base and head and tension it as tight as possible.
John Danicic

Acenders

Post by John Danicic »

I use Ascenders. I enjoy the independence of propelling my self up through the rigging at my own pace without having to shout instructions to a winch grinder below. It's also nice to stop, rest and enjoy the view.

Sail on.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Mast steps

Post by John D. »

I've used ascenders, and IMHO they require a lot of effort for the vertical gain, when compared to any kind of ladder. I installed folding, aluminum mast steps on Lilypad, which have the advantage of being always ready for instant use, but the disadvantage of weight and extra holes. I wear a rock-climbing harness and tie off if I'm going to be up there for any length of time.
Tom Keevil

Ascenders

Post by Tom Keevil »

We use one ascender on a fixed halyard with a foot loop and the person ascending in a climbing harness. The person below winches up while the ascender steps up on the loop. This takes most of the pressure off of the wincher, and the ascender can then sit down and relax while moving the ascender up another notch. It's a pretty good division of labor, and neither of us gets tired out. You can also stand on the loop at the top to get better access to the masthead. As a safety precaution, we also have a second loop attaching the climbing harness to the fixed halyard with a Prusik knot.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
SPIBob

up the mast

Post by SPIBob »

I have both a MastMate and a TopClimber. Both allow a single-handed ascent of the mast. Both have good and weak points. For the MastMate, on the plus side:

It's relatively quick to rig, once sail track slugs are attached.
It's a relatively quick ascent.

On the minus side:

You can only go up the back of the mast.
The main must be out of the sail track, at least below the gate.
You can't swing away from the mast.
When hoisting, the step loops tend to jam in the vee between the lower shrouds and the mast---very annoying.
You must lift your weight up the mast using one leg at a time.
You must continue to stand in the step loops while working. This can be painful on the feet, even with heavy shoes.

For the TopClimber, on the plus side:

You can go up either side of the mast.
You use both legs simultaneously to lift your weight up the mast.
You can swing away from the mast, e.g., to work on the spreaders.
Unless you are working above the top of the mast, you can sit while working. Much more comfortable, especially over time.

On the minus side:

Takes longer to rig. It's a bit Rube Goldberg at first.
It takes longer to ascend and descend, especially at first.
They recommend you bend on a dedicated line to your halyard.

Both will get you up the mast by yourself. If I had to choose one, I'd take the TopClimber.

I always use a second halyard as a safety line.

Hope this helps.