Cape Dory 28 Motor and Fuel Tank Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GB
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Lake Superior

Cape Dory 28 Motor and Fuel Tank Questions

Post by GB »

What should be the standard motor and fuel tank set up that came with a 1975 Cape Dory 28? I think that the motor should be a Volvo Diesel of some model? Would the boat have one or two fuel tanks?
gbe
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Post by Paul Grecay »

Two fuel tanks under the port and starboard lockers....the engine is a volvo penta ... mine had the md2b which was 23 hp...I replaced it with the BetaMarine last year and it is great. I also replaced my fuel tanks with new ones...the old ones were a disaster.
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

CD 28

Post by Sailing Soldier »

My 1978 CD 28 came with a Volv MD-7A rated at 13 HP. Also a single fuel tank. 13 or 15 gals I think.
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Our 1987 CD 28 came with a 20 gallon fuel tank and a Universal M-18 14 HP engine.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

My 1974 cd 28 came with a volvo MD2b and 2 fuel tanks-one in each locker-they were made out of metal and were rusted-and did not come out through the locker covers-they were about 1" to wide (I think they were 12" in dia.-)-the motor was replaced with a rebuilt Volvo MD11 which I am told had between 24-28 horsepower-and is the exact same configuration-I would suspect and check and fuel tanks over 15 years old-depending on the material-I have told "Monel" which is a high grade stainless steel can last 40 years or more-but I would wonder how much crud would be on the bottom of a 40 year old tank-I have replaced the tanks in my cd 28 so if you need more info let me know-
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Cape Dory 28 powerboat or sailboat?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

GB wrote:What should be the standard motor and fuel tank set up that came with a 1975 Cape Dory 28? I think that the motor should be a Volvo Diesel of some model? Would the boat have one or two fuel tanks?
Hi GB,

You may want to indicate whether you're concerned with a CD28 powerboat (which would have had a Volvo diesel) or a CD28 sailboat. All of the responses thus far are from CD28 sailors.

If you've got a CD28 powerboat, and you don't get the answer you need here, try http://www.capedory28.info/

But I guess it has to be a sailboat since CD didn't start building the CD28 powerboat until 1984.

You'll also find additional information right here on this web site. Maybe some of your questions would be answered if you had a copy of the owners manual? To download the manuals for any of the Cape Dory models, just scroll to the top of this page and click on either the CDSOA logo or the CDSOA link. That'll take you to this site's home page. Once there, use the menus and navigate as follows: select 'Where to Look', 'Groups & Publications', 'Online Manuals & Brochures', then 'CD Owners Manuals'. Then select the appropriate manual. They are all PDFs and large, so if you don't have a fast internet connection it'll take a long time for the manual to open on your computer. Once it's open, save it to your computer and print a copy for yourself.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3