New Sails for my Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bob G.

New Sails for my Typhoon

Post by Bob G. »

I`m thinking about buying new sails for my Typhoon. I received a price of $897 for the main and $489 for a 110 jib. Is this a good price? If not, any other sailmakers from those who recently bought new sails for their TY.
Joe Montana
Member 781

2001 Cost

Post by Joe Montana »

In 2001 I paid $553 (plus $55 for UV impregnation) for 85 sq. ft., 5.7 weight 100% Crosscut Dacron jib; and $845 (plus $90 for one row of reefs, tell tales & leech cord) for 80 sq. ft., 5.6 weight Performance Dacron main with two battens, tell tales, leech cord. I got a 10% discount on the total sail costs for off-season order. At the same time, I paid $516 minus a 20% discount for a Flexible Furler FF2 system. NOTE: I have a daysailer model, which has a masthead rigged jib. I used Kappa Sails and have been very satisfied with the quality and service. I hope this helps. By the way, I single-hand most of the time and highly recommend the furling jib!
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Check the post I put up earlier titled "New Typhoon Sails". It should still be on the first page possibly at, or near the bottom. Click on the site in the post, and new Typhoon sail prices are listed right in front. hth
Weekender
hull #914
Jim Evans

New Ty Sails

Post by Jim Evans »

I ordered a new main for my Ty from Lee Sails (Northeast) back in '03. At the time, it cost about $475 including shipping. I was very satisfied with the sail; it was made in Hong Kong, shipped to its New England distributor, and then shipped to me. But I understand Lee made the original Ty sails for Cape Dory back in the day, and they have all the correct measurements. I highly recommend them. Check them out at http://www.leesailsne.com/.
Jim Evans
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

In 1999 I got Sailrite kits for my Typhoon for about $240 and $380 for Jib and Main respectively. The main had two reef points and I was really happy with both sails shape and cut. It was nice to beat my brother's Typhoon in the TYPHOON CUP with new sails. I was an average sewing machine guy at the time and made several mistakes.

If you have a basic sewing machine and some time and patience, they are both really fun projects and the sailrite instructions are bombproof.

Paul