Lead acid battery maintenance?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dickie

Lead acid battery maintenance?

Post by dickie »

I have both a deep cycle and a starting battery, both group 24's, that I need to maintain this winter. They will be off the boat. Several theories:

Acquire a maintainer and hook it to each battery, alternating each week.

Acquire a cheap, low amp, non-smart charger and hook it to both batteries in parallel. Would around 1 amp do it? Or would it be better to alternate this like above?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Separate Chargers

Post by Oswego John »

What I have had good luck with is use low amp trickle chargers on the batteries. You can get them for under ten bucks at Harbour Freight.

I use them on my riding lawn mower and tractor, too. If you are in a cold area, make sure that the batteries are charged before storing, and maintain the charge. If not, they can freeze and crack the outer case.

O J
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

If the batteries are in good condition they won't need much charging during the winter....certainly not weekly or even monthly. Check them at layup time in November and make sure they're fully charged. Check them again in January or February and top off the charge if necessary. Check the charge again in the spring before you put them aboard. I keep my batteries in my basement and they barely lose any of their charge all winter. A decent quality digital VOM will tell you the charge state of a stored battery. 12.6 volts is equal to 100% charge on most lead acid batteries. 12.2 volts is equal to 25% charge and would need to be topped off
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Battery Charger

Post by Bob Owens »

I am the furthest thing from an expert on marine electrical things, but, being in your same situation three years ago, I invested in a Vector batter charger, model VEC1092A-M . Am sure that I did not pay more than $50 three years ago, and it gives me great service. It has several automatic functions, including the ability to detect how great a charge rate to use on a battery at any time and when to stop the charge process. It also as a "recondition" setting to de-sulfate the battery plates, if your battery has sat unused for a lengthy time. I put it on each of my boat batteries about every 4-6 weeks throughout the winter. Normally it chooses a " trickle" charge for an hour or so and then shuts off. My batteries seem to be flourishing under its care. The $50 was HALF what the yard was charging every winter to care for my batteries, and I suspect that they did not touch them more than once after haulout.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Lead Acid Battery Maintenance

Post by Oswego John »

After reading some of the replies, I reread the original post and realized that the batteries will be removed from the boat. My error.

Another thing that I'll add is that I didn't mean to infer that you should hook up a charger in November and remove it in the spring.Because the batteries won't be in use during the winter, there will be no great discharge on them.

Yes, test them with a voltmeter from time to time and keep them fully charged. I feel that when dealing with an almost fully charged battery, I don't use a high rate of amps to top it off. That's why I use a trickle charger.

I don't know if it's an old wives tale or not, but i've heard that we shouldn't store batteries on a concrete floor for any long period. ???

I also think that it is better to store the batteries indoors than outside in frigid climates. I have never seen a fully charged battery freeze, even in arctic climates. When they are cold, they do lose cold cranking amps capability.

I can visualize the smiles on our southern sailor's faces right about now. :D

O J
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

storing batteries on a concrete floor...

Post by Kurt »

...IS an old wives tale.
Carl Thunberg

Kurt -

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Can elaborate on that? Is there a published article on this somewhere? I've always been very careful NOT to put my battery on a concrete floor because, well, that's the way my Dad did it.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
marilou

Battery on concrete floor

Post by marilou »

This myth comes from when batteries were constructed with wooden cases and glass insides. There was the chance that, if the wood case became wet, it could swell and crack the glass. The only benefit of keeping the battery off a concrete floor would be that it would probably be warmer.
Derek Matheson

Battery on concrete floor

Post by Derek Matheson »

Lots of good storage info for all your batteries at this link:

http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

The "Battery Tender Plus 12" only way to go. Guaranteed for life. This site is the cheapest on the net. $43, everyone else included BatteryTender.com want $59. You will not go wrong with this one.
They also list the waterproof chargers as well.

http://www.tristatebattery.com/index.ph ... =21_72_173