Question on 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

Question on 25D

Post by Tracuman »

Hi all,
I've begun the restoration on Callipygian and so far so good. I was doing a topsides inspection yesterday when I saw something I hadn't noticed before. Across the top of the stern there were holes in the gelcoat about every 3-4 inches and it was obvious to me that there should have been some sort of trim there, but it's not there now. My question is what should be there? Down the sides is a piece of teak rubrail about an inch thick with a bronze "cap" screwed into it. There is neither of these on the top of the transom and I cannot tell if there should be both pieces or just the teak or just the bronze. If those of you that have 25D's can let me know what I need here, I'd appreciate it! Thanks again for all the help.
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Just a thought

Post by SeaBelle »

Tracuman,

I'm unfamiliar with the 25D but I put such holes in my CD 28's transon when installing a mainsheet traveler. Could there have been a previous installation?
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

It probably varies from boat to boat, but was most likely a bronze or stainless(or aluminum) half-oval rub rail.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Rubstrake

Post by bhartley »

On our 25D (as with our Typhoon), there is/was a piece of alumnium half round rubstrake. I didn't put it back on the Typhoon as the transom had a compound curve and the piece had been bent in the wrong directions to ever lay flat.

The piece is in place on the 25D, but I wouldn't go to any pains to find one. It's just decorative to hide the joint between the taffrail and the transom.

I'll send you a photo if you want to see what you're missing!

Bly
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

Hi Bly

Post by Tracuman »

Thanks for the post. Did you get the photos I sent on private email?
I'll probably just mill a piece of teak back there, I just wasn't sure if there was bronze like I have on top of the teak rub rails starboard and port.

How's your work going? Hope there haven't been any surprises.....
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.