CD 22 Jib "pumping" question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron Brassord

CD 22 Jib "pumping" question

Post by Ron Brassord »

I just changed the 130 Genny on my CD 22 to a winter working 100 jib, and have been out in some moderate to brisk winds. I immediately noticed that the small jib "pumps" wildly at certain settings. In a few gusts over 25 it got scary. If I horse it in very tight in decreases, but that puts me hull down, and very uncomfortable.
The genny is a new sail,and has worked fine all summer, even reefed on the Harkin furler. The forestay is quite tight and shows no defection underload.
The jib is and older sail, in good condition, that I sewed a luff tape on for the furler and a Sunbrella sun cover. When it pumps, the furler rod looks like it's defecting 6" or more.
I really don't think I can safely take up the stay any more. I have tried moving the sheet lead, no help.
Before I do anything drastic I thought maybe the easy way to a solution was to inquire here. Anyone have this problem?
Ron Brassord lighthouse point Fl.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Ron,

Just a first guess but it seems to me that you are correct in not needing to adjust headstay tension if it worked well with the 130. Did you adjust your sheeting angle forward for the smaller sail? I would think that overcorrecting for leech flutter with too much leechline tension might also contribute to the problem. Usually you get a lot of suggestions for this type of situation, if they don't cost money try them all.

Steve Kuhar
"Aikane" CD30(b) Pensacola