Shaft vibration

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Shaft vibration

Post by Neil Gordon »

A buddy at the marina posed this one...

His shaft vibrates when the boat backs only. He's thinking engine misalignment, bent shaft or a worn cutlass bearing. I'm thinking any of those would be the same in forward or reverse. What do you think?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

shaft

Post by Phil Shedd »

Neil

If your friend has a folding prop one of the blades may not be completely out when going in reverse. This would cause a inbalance and cause the vibration. Rotation is rotation a line vibration should happen in both direction of rotations.

Phil
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Barnacles?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Might barnacles grow differently on the forward surface of the blades than the aft surface? Might that make a difference when the prop is pulling instead of pushing?

Then, there is the transmission which obviously has additional components in motion when in reverse gear.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Check fore-aft movement?

Post by John D. »

In forward, the whole assembly is pushed forward. In reverse, it's being pulled aft. Does that cause slight movement? Is something rubbing in reverse that shouldn't?
bill2

John

Post by bill2 »

I'm thinking along the lines of John D. Without knowing the particulars one could say that in general when there are axles or gears in motion there are what I've been taught are thrust washers/bearings/surfaces . So that being the case it could be the "slack" is being taken up when everything is pushed together but when being pulled apart the axles/gears are no longer being held to factory tolerances by the thrust washers/bearings/surfaces.

Anyways that's my $.02 and I'm sticking to it . . .

Good Luck