Compare CD270 to CD28 , Trying To Decide

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Baysailor34

Compare CD270 to CD28 , Trying To Decide

Post by Baysailor34 »

My Hunter34 is up for sale. In doing my homework I hope to buy either a CD270 or a CD28 soon. I sail alone, mostly in the middle Chesapeake but have been enhancing my skills for some ocean/mostly coastal adventure starting next summer. There are lots of CD28's available but 270's don't come up too often. I found a CD270 in Baltimore, hull #5 that is for sale now. It's a very nice boat that's been well cared for. I like the layout with quarter berth which the CD28 does not have. There's also some very nice CD28's out there and many more of them than the 270.

I'd like to compare the two boats.

I'm very interested in any and all opinions on both these very fine boats. I will be sailing alone most of the time and don't ever forsee more than two additional crew. The real purpose of the purchase is to be able to sail coastal, much of the time solo, in comfort and safety. Anything you can share is welcome. Sailing characteristics, layout functionability, upgrades, deck, rigging, maintainance issues, etc. Anything, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Judith

New 270 owner

Post by Judith »

As you can tell from the subject line, I come at this from the CD270 angle. We bought ours in July and are loving it. We looked at a couple CD27's, then a CD28, and debated a lot. Then we stepped into the 270 and said, "This is it."

We had several conflicting criteria, including all the usual Cape Dory attributes (traditional lines, bronze fittings, sailing characteristics, etc), fit for shallow + deep waters, not-too-big for our limited experience/for a couple/for singlehanding, yet plenty of room when the kids are aboard. . .For us, this is just perfect. Check the designer's website for layout and general info http://www.dieterempacher.com/27ft830333.html. As for sailing, while we've not put her through any truly horrendous weather, we've made a few tricky passages that we might not have accomplished otherwise.

I would VERY heartily recommend Marilou's post, as she's a MUCH more experienced sailor (and 270 owner) than we are.
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... highlight=
You might also check the CD registry and contact some of the other owners. . .I've emailed at least one who's been a wonderful source of information.

You can also find 270 specs here in the "About Cape Dorys" section.

By the way, I would be quite surprised if the 270 for sale were Hull #5, as our 270 is clearly marked Hull #5. . .

Good luck in your search.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I'll weigh in with Judy

Post by Warren S »

Here are a few things we ended up liking, but we didn't know going in:

- if you are at all concerned about roof support issues as I have seen posted here, the 270 actually does use a compression post, which I didn't even know at first, since it's hidden in the head. Some hull numbers actually had a keel-stepped masts (Marilou)?

- I was smitten with the 27/28 for the heavy keel, considerable garboard, etc. I didnt even know CD made a centerboard design. The 270 still has a full keel (by CD standards, it's just shoal depth) and the nice garboard that in my opinion makes for a smoother ride in heavier seas. After getting to know Morveren, we have (well the boys especially) enjoyed getting quite far up shallow creeks for nice secure overnights.

- then there is the quarter berth.

- You have some control over weather helm with the centerboard (besides the sails when the going gets perky).

- the interior joinery is "simply fab" (I can't believe I just said that).

- the placement of the galley sink fawcet is giving us fits, but I doubt that wwould be a deal-killer for you.