He ain't heavy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron M.

He ain't heavy

Post by Ron M. »

I'd be interested to know what is a reasonable weight capacity for the boom of a CD30 to support. i.e. lifting a large individual in a Lifesling or a small diesel engine. I know the mechanical advantage of the winches and block and tackle will take a hefty load but what to safely expext from this spar has me wondering. Anyone have much experience using the boom as a crane ?
________
Suzuki katana
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

Last edited by Mitch F on Sep 12th, '06, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

It depends.

Post by Mitch F »

We lifted our volvo md7a out using the boom and halyard. In that situation we rigged a comealong to the main halyard and used the an outhaul at the end of the boom to hold the halyard above the engine as we slid it into the cabin and then up and over the side. At no point was there any downward pressure on the boom - it was under compression load only.

The more important question is whether the shrouds and halyard can handle the load of a human or engine at the end of the boom, and if they can handle all that sail area in a fresh breeze I should hope they could lift a few hundred pounds without too much trouble. Now keep in mind that this is using a properly beefy halyard, not the topping lift which is not designed to hold up anything more than the weight of the boom.

Hoist away, but keep the loads in mind and make sure the boom is used only to hold the halyard and lifting tackle away from the mast.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Many years ago--a then much less experienced skipper--ran his CD27, TIA MARI, aground in the soft stuff north of Kent Narrows (hey I WAS in the channel the water wasn't). While attempting a variety of techniques to free ourselves, I secured a 240 pound friend to the aft end of the boom (big guy hanging from his harness).

The halyard was attached to the outhaul fitting. We wrung the boom out as far as it would go. We did not suffer any mechanical problems. We also remained aground. The body weight even several feet off the center line did not induce much heel.

I suspect that the CD30 could safely handle a larger load.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where today, I single handedly counterbalanced the vote of a dope, or he mine), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

It will easily hold a Beta BZ482

Post by John D. »

I used the halyard, run through a turning block directly above the engine. The turning block was tied to the aft end of the boom. That way, the boom was only being loaded in end compression, with no downward forces at all. I attached a 4-1 block and tackle to the engine and the end of the halyard, and could lift it with one hand, while easing out the rope that the turning block was attached to, so that I could move the engine up/down and forward all at the same time.

An extra person would have made it easier.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

What is/are the exact situation you want to use the mast for

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

There might be different and/or better ways of doing it. Also give the conditions of the boat.

MOB retrieval, you might not have enough room from the boom to clear the deck or lifelines. A halyard from the mast might be better.

For engine work on the hard, I would question putting that sort of off center load on the boat and stands. Also, the position on the mast, of a point load on the mast on lifting the engine, as it would probably NOT be where the topping lift connects. Again, do you have clearance w/ deck items, to get an engine on/off the boat?

Just some items to start thinking about.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

contination of the first subject, '...Hes My Brother'

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

n/m