considering purchase

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ron

considering purchase

Post by ron »

I've been sailing for 30 years and have owned an S2 8.0 for 10 years. I'm 60, sail in the Chesapeake, and looking for a slightly larger boat, maybe a CD 30, maybe a ketch, maybe a cutter. Draft is important to me, (I don't want to draw more than 4'6"). Is there anything anyone reading this might suggest I look out for when considering a CD other than the normal stuff one would check on any boat.? I am open to any and all suggestions, older boats are fine with me as I have reason and enough experience to appreciate hand laid FG hulls. I'm not a racer and do not plan on any trans atlantic voyages, though some coastal sailing to the Caribbean would not be out of the question. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: considering purchase

Post by Neil Gordon »

ron wrote:Is there anything anyone reading this might suggest I look out for when considering a CD other than the normal stuff one would check on any boat.?
Watch out for someone else stepping up and buying a really good boat while you procrastinate. :wink:

You just have to watch for the usual things that happen to older boats. Get a good survey and you'll be fine.

A CD30 will take you anywhere... there's both a 25D and a 28 each about half way around the world right now.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

CD30 Ketch

Post by Ron Turner »

As the owner of a CD 30 ketch I can tell you that if you REALLY like to sail and feel the boat resopnd do not get a ketch with the Edson worm gear steering. Otherwise the boat is GREAT.
Ron Turner
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Considering 330 purchase - Need information

Post by Evergreen »

Hello mates:
I currently own a Catalina 22 but I am considering the purchase of a CD330 or CD36 as my first "big" boat. I have done extensive cruising on my little C22 so I am not new to sailing.
Questions: Is it possible to store a hard dinghy on the cabin top or elsewhere on a CD330???? I was looking at the CD330 and was wondering how much distance is there between the mainsheet and the mast. It also seems that the club foot of the staysail would make it impossible to store a dingy on the foredeck. Any experienced insights would be very much appreciated.
Aside from the usual problems associated with a used sailboat are there any problems particular to CD330s that I should look for?
I would like to thank everyone in advance for considering my inquiries!
Sincerely, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Jim Lewis

CD30K

Post by Jim Lewis »

Of course I am bias about this boat.....have had it for 25 yrs....
Mostly sailing offshore, but did spend several years on the bays
and rivers of North Carolina.......I am 60 also, be glad to answer
any question you have by email........Jim
Jim Lewis
bottomscraper

Re: Considering 330 purchase - Need information

Post by bottomscraper »

SWIZZLESTICK wrote:Hello mates:
Questions:

Is it possible to store a hard dinghy on the cabin top or elsewhere on a CD330????

Sincerely, Philip & Sharon
I think it would be hard to fit a one piece hard dingy on the deck of either a 36 or a 330. John Danicic makes a nesting dingy. Check out his web site at:

http://www.johndanicic.com/arrogantwood ... ge%201.htm
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Tom Blanchard
CD 36 Buffalo, N.Y.

CD 36 purchase

Post by Tom Blanchard »

Philip and Sharon,
I agree with all of the prior comments about deck space on a 36.
only a nesting dinghy or a folded inflatable will work.
If you're thinking about buying a 36, I'm thinking about placing mine on the market later this year or early next year.
It is not yet listed with a broker. If you want to discuss, send me an email and I'll be happy to provide you with photos (or CD) and an equipment list. It's a 1981, #44 which has been completely restored and repowered.
Tom Blanchard
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

First to the prospective 30 buyer: On all CD's check the gelcoat crazing, it will likley be cosmetic, just check it thoroughly. Also check the cockpit sole for water entry and moisture content. SOme owners have sweared the pedestal steering was not properly bedded.

Other than that and some cabin top sag on the Typhoons, these boats are some of the better built production boats.

Phillip and Sharon, I don't know if the nesting dinghy my bro builds will fit in there on the 330 with the coachroof traveller but it does on his 36. It is about 5' long nested. I have one on my 33 and like it a lot.

Pros: Stowed on the coachroof it is out of the way and covers the main hatch for ventilation in rain. Easy to put together and tows and rows very well - you have an 11 foot dinghy to fill up with people and stuff.

Cons: Stowed on the coachroof it is somewhat in the way for dousing the mainsail though you can get around it. (I don't have lazy jacks and find dousing no problem) Cuts visibility from cockpit while sitting.

Have you considered a CD33 at all? It is considerably cheaper than a 330 and is very fun to sail in my humble opinion. I can solo her easily or take a crowd. I love to sit at my chart table too. The trade off is the v berth layout and cockpit stowage instead of quarter berth stowage. I just got back from taking my two nephews and my 2 1/2 year old across Lake Superior and have to say she is a safe and well-found boat.

There are more of them, usually two or three on the market and you can choose about how much work you want to do on one then. I suggest one with either a newer motor or the old Universal motor. Several 33 and 330's have made fine (if rolly) offshore passages so you know they can take the big stuff.

Paul