Trailering CD26 1985

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Clark

Trailering CD26 1985

Post by Joe Clark »

I'm seeking advice on the idea of purchasing a 1985 CD26 that comes with a 1991 Manning trailer. Can anyone tell me what surprises I shoud keep an eye open for while inspecting the boat, ease of launching, loading and set-up, or if I'm completely off my rocker for considering this combo being a first boat since I'm quite the rookie? My plan would be to trailer it a coulpe of times a season, most likely in and around the Aposle Islands, Lake Superior.
Carl Thunberg

Lots of Questions Rolled Into One

Post by Carl Thunberg »

First, welcome to the board! You have a lot of questions all rolled into one, and there really aren't simple answers to any of them. You indicated that this would be your first boat. The best advice if you're serious about this particular boat is to have it surveyed by a reputable marine surveyor. This is especially important if you're new to boat ownership. The list of potential "surprises" is very long, and your surveyor can keep you from buying someone else's problems. Don't fall in love with the boat until you own it.

You don't mention your sailing experience, but since you're a self-subscribed "rookie", I'll assume for the moment you have little experience. You may want to crew for other people for a while so you get a feel for what you really want from a boat. The CD26 is a great boat, but it's not for everyone, just like a catamaran isn't for everyone. But for the right person, every boat is the perfect boat.

There is a very recent thread called "Trailerability of Cape Dory Typhoon or 22+". I think you'll find some of the answers to your trailering questions in that thread.

Good luck with your search, and feel free to ask more questions. You may want to spend some time searching the archives. I find most of my questions have already been discussed at one time or another.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Clark

Post by Joe Clark »

Thanks Carl for your welcome and advice. After posting my questions, I did go through the archives, and you're right, many of them have been discussed. In the future, I'll try to keep my questions more specific as I'm sure there will be more. Thanks again. Joe