CD25 Outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Scott B.

CD25 Outboard

Post by Scott B. »

one of my CD25 projects on the list is to replace the present outboard with a new 4-stroke which fits cleanly in the engine well. The old Johnson 8hp 2-stroke is very heavy, smelly, tight in the space, oily, etc. There must a reasonably powerful enough new model out there (merc, Johnson, etc.) which is more compact, lighter, with a long-shaft that I can depend on. What is the minimum hp I should consider assuming it fits in the well? Also, what do others do at the end of the weekend? I hate to leave my outboard sitting in the well for the week for the barnacles and slime to eat. And I hate to pull it out all the time. Must be a better way.
Carl Thunberg

Lots of Discussion in the Archives

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Scott,

Search the archives on this topic. Type in "CD25 Outboard" and you'll find lots of information on this. This topic has been discussed at length. There are actually some very recent threads on this. Personally, I have a Nissan 6HP 4-stroke and it suits my needs very well. I motor in some pretty serious current in the Piscataqua River. The Nissan 6HP fits very nicely in the motor well. In a recent thread, someone recommended a Honda Classic 8HP. Seems like a lot of horse power to me, but he's happy with it and bottom line, that's what counts.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Honda 8 hp classic

Post by Tom Foley »

Just today I installed my new motor and it is a dream. I first tried a honda 5 (next smaller size). It was a one cylinder and noisy. I really wanted a honda because they have been making four stroke engines 40 years and have it down pat. The Honda 8 is a very snug fit and will vibrate less when I move the mount forward about a half inch. The motor now touches the aft wall of the motor well. I will also move the bolts on the cover down about 1/4 inch so it doesn't touch the motor. You must still run with the lid up because the exhaust is above the water line. I may look into adding two small plastic tubes to the exhaust outlets so they will exhaust under water.
carldoc

tohatsu 6hp

Post by carldoc »

I have read great things about the tohatsu 6hp. I need to repower in a year or two. currently my Yamaha 9.9 sounds different each time I start it,not a good sign. The Tohatsu exhausts thru the prop so the hatch can be closed which is a big plus.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Carl Thunberg

Tohatsu and Nissan

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I believe the Tohatsu 6HP and the Nissan 6HP are the same. I don't really keep up with mergers and acquisitions in international commerce, though. Anyone out there know who acquired who, and when?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
viejo

Post by viejo »

Tohatsu and Suzuki are the same. I've got one of the 4 stroke/6 horse Suzuki's (simply because it has the fitting for the external fuel source). We looked at both the Tohatsu and Suzuki at the same dealer (they're the same engine).
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

well i am a manager for a boat store and can tell nissan and tohatsu are the same. we been selling nissan for many years know its tohatsu. besides tohatsu is more in price.
but a 6hp will do the job for your boat.