"Trailerability" of Cape Dory Typhoon or 22+

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dzm3

"Trailerability" of Cape Dory Typhoon or 22+

Post by dzm3 »

I'm considering re-entering the sailing. But I'm on the fence on whether go with a small runabout boat that would have to be launched for every sail or with a bigger weekender type of the boat.
The problem I have is that I do not live very near any big bodys of water. Would have to make a 1-2 hour drive to get to the ocean. Thus if I leave a boat in the water for the entire summer, I'm afraid it might not get enough use.
But I do like the idea of the comfort and stability or a full keel boat with a cabby.

Enter Typhoon. I really like the boat. And I was wondering if the boat of that size could be launched off a boat ramp off the trailer. And thus moved relatively easily from one body of water to another during the summer, allowing me to get more use out of it. Or would it still require a crane to put it in the water. Thus limiting me only to places that have big enough marinas to have a crane?...
What about a 22' Cape Dory? Or Even 25'?

Thank you very much for the advice.

Dmitri
s-dupuis

Trailerability and ease of launch

Post by s-dupuis »

I previously owned a Typhoon and now have a CD 22 with trailer.
The Typhoon is easy to trailer and launch, including raising the mast which can be accomplished alone as long as you are well prepared and in good physical condition (average height and weight). Raising the mast is, of course, easier with two people and/or using a gin pole or elevated crutch to facilitate raising the mast with a block and tackle or the trailer winch. Takes about an hour in all. The trailer should have brakes and at least a 6 cyl. vehicle to tow it.
The CD 22 also trailers well and launches easily as long as there are at least 4-1/2 to 5' of water at the launch. I have a Triad trailer that centers the keel into a trough when recovering the boat. Raising the spar is a different story and requires at least 3 robust persons or specialized equipment to raise it alone. The spar needs to be moved horizontally from its trailering position to get the base hinge-pinned to the cabin. The shrouds and stays must be secured for the trip and reattached at launching. I would not want to do this every time I went sailing. I would like to be able to trailer my CD22 to other locations on occasion (vacations, etc.) and not have to rely on help when I reach my destination. I'm working on a design for the mast crutch that would allow me to partially raise the mast about 35 degrees using an extension on the crutch with a block and tackle system to lift the spar. The remaining lift would be accomplished using a gin pole and the trailer winch. Once I have completed the design I will post it here for the boards comments.

Steve
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

22 Trailerablity

Post by bhartley »

We have a Typhoon (yet to be launched) and a Sea Sprite 23 (which is also an Alberg and very close to the 22). It takes us 3 hours to launch including a few spousal squabbles. We have a gallows to step the mast, but I don't consider the boat trailerable.

The Typhoon has a much lighter mast with a hinged step. I'm not sure how long it will take to rig, but I still wouldn't want to be doing it regularly. There are lots of nice looking, decent sailing trailerable boats (say a Compac 23 -- not a 16).

Our Sea Sprite is in a slip an hour away and you do have to make a real effort to make sure you get there often enough to make it worthwhile so I understand your predicament entirely.

Attached is a photo of rigging Ariel this spring...

I would really recommend something that can be rigged and ready in less than an hour (preferably with only one person if you don't have a regular sailing partner).

Its hard to beat an Alberg design for looks, but speedy rigging isn't their forte...
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Trailer Sailer

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Dmitri,

First of all, let me, along with many other members, give you a warm welcome to the Cape Dory board. Welcome aboard, sailor.

There are various ways to answer your questions, and most of them will be correct in their own way. For that reason, I will try to give you my own personal perspective on the subject.

I own a Ty Weekender. It is very trailerable. I live minutes away from the water so i usually launch it on a boat ramp and it remains at a slip for the season. At the close of the sailing season, I put it on the trailer at the ramp and tow it home.

The CD22 is a bit longer and heavier than the Ty, but with the right rig, it is still very trailerable and ramp launchable. In my personal judgement, a CD 25 or a CD 25D would be the largest boat that I would consider trailering throughout the boating season.

The topic of finances rears it's ugly head. If you don't trailer, I suppose the other option is renting a slip or mooring. They don't come cheaply. You are limited to sailing in the area of where you keep the boat.

On the other hand, with the use of a trailer, you have the opportunity to tow the boat to other bays, lakes and rivers of your choice. I know of a sailor who trailers his CD 25D when the spirit moves him. He likes the fact that when a hurricane is coming his way, he loads the boat on his trailer and boogies inland, out of harms way. Another member on the board travels wherever he feels the urge to sail, Chesapeake, Upper Great Lakes, Maine, wherever, whenever. That's one of the benefits of being mobile.

One caveat: if you intend to be a trailer sailor, make sure that the boat you purchase has a tabernacle, or folding mast base, not a keel based mast. For the latter, you would probably have to rely on a crane to step and unstep the mast. For that matter, you'll probably need a crane or other special equipment to handle the mast on anything larger than a Ty.

I'm sure that there are many other facets that I have overlooked. It's just too darn hot to think of them all.

Hope this gives some insight to your thoughts.

Elbows Wychulis, where are you? Phew!

O J
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Just in case I stepped on anyone's toes...

Post by bhartley »

I suggested a Compac 23 as a comparable trailerable boat (and said not the 16) as I was trying to provide the questioner with something most comparable to the CD 22.

The Compac 16 is a very good looking boat and easy to trailer -- just smaller than the Ty and -- like the Ty a bit cramped on cabin room.

The 23 is easy to trailer and launch and has a cockpit and cabin closer to the size of the CD22.

Happy sailing (whatever it may be).

Bly
dzm3

Post by dzm3 »

Thanks for the advice, i checked out the Com-Pac, but the design just didn't appeal to me. All throughout my teen years I sailed and even raced Dragons, if you know that class, thus Cape Dory's classic lines with full keel and integrated rudder just feel so right to me.
On the other note I also looked at Sea Sprite 23s, and they are very similar to CD22s.

Now to find someone local to Philly, NJ area, maybe within 1-2 hours drive with Ty, Ty Sr, CD22, or SS23 to check them out for size in real life.

Please, let me know if you have one and would like to give few minutes of your time to show off your baby, and potentially turn someone, aga me, into another happy owner.

Thank you all for great help
Dmitri
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ty and Trailers

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Dmitri...

One small note. Unmentioned above was the fact that you do need the right trailer. You will need some extension to get the Ty into deep enough water at the ramp to float it. Triad comes with a 18' (or so) extension bar to go between the trailer and tow vehicle. You can rig one yourself for any other trailer.

Without it, you have to resort to the older method of running lines from the trailer to the tow vehicle and letting the trailer go down the ramp into the water. Not recommended for repeated use.

I have a Triad and with one helper we can launch or recover in just under an hour. The mast isn't that heavy so with only a small lift the helper can pull it up using a line fastened to the forestay. We leave the rear stay and the rearmost shrouds attached so as the mast rises it is constrained by these stays.

Decisions, decisions...but you can't go wrong with a Ty weekender, in my humble opinion.

Serge
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

stay with the typhoon it would be the best one for you.
and don't forget to have a V6 to pull it around with an extension on the traveler so you can get down those ramps.
you will need two people to put up the mast.
allot less work on it.
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

New guy alert. Been lurking a while, first post. My boys (14&12) and I have been playing with a late 60's Flying Junior in a local reservoir (Spruce Run, NJ) and we had a blast last year. Thankfully they took to it nicely. It's hard competing with video games ya know. This year I am thinking about upgrading, but am not ready to commit to slip fees and all that goes with that, nor am I knowledgeable enough about sailing yet to not be a hazard to my fellow sailors. But I do believe a journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step and I'm bold enough to try.

I've takin' a shine to the Typhoon or maybe a CD22 and will be semi-trailering whichever we decide on. Most of the time I will be on Spruce Run practicing until I'm ready to head out into larger waters. I can store the boat there and can leave the mast up, but the boat needs to be launched and pulled whenever we sail. I can also winter the boat there for a nominal fee (not sure if leaving the mast up over the winter is a good idea)

So...penny for your thoughts? The Ty looks like a great boat, but my eventual goal is to take 2-3 day jaunts, sometimes a week. We boys like camping and are used to close quarters, but the Ty might be too close for more than an overnight. Yes...no?
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

alan cohen wrote: So...penny for your thoughts? The Ty looks like a great boat, but my eventual goal is to take 2-3 day jaunts, sometimes a week. We boys like camping and are used to close quarters, but the Ty might be too close for more than an overnight. Yes...no?

I did a 6 day trip with my son (10) last year and its doable, the nice thing about the Ty is there is tons of storage space for its size. Two teenagers and an adult would be pushing it though . The main thing is to find anchorages where you can get to the shore easy, you can pull a ty in pretty close and hop overboard. It also helps to have a port with a place to wash up, eat out, every couple of days.
barfwinkle

Not to be Discouraging but

Post by barfwinkle »

In addition to bring the boat home every few years for bottom paint and maintenance we have ran the interstates on three different occasions to see out some adventures on the "high seas" sorta.

The rig (tow vehicle) is critical and so is a plan/rig to stepping the mast. I WOULD NOT consider a trip of this type (for me its a minimum drive of 14 hours to salt, so it is no easy undertaking. I don't have a float off trailer, and probably wouldn't use it if I had it. Not wanting to get in the salt water and all.

Rigging the boat upon arrival is a bout a three-four task. When I left Yankee Point Sailboat Marina (an outstanding Marina BTW) last June, they pulled the boat at 0800, power washed the hull and had her on the trailer by 0900 (We had lowered the mast the night before using a gen pole that works well, yet is still very stressful). I department for the 2500 drive home at 1200.

Below you'll see a pic of Rhapsody taking a break in Vicksburg, MS headed for Pensacola in 2008. She is a 25D and it definitely keeps you on your toes while towing.

Absolutely nothing I would want to do for a weekend! In fact I don't think I would do it for week again. But if I have 3 or 4 weeks to spend they by all means. The tow vehicle in the pic is a 3/4 ton diesel and it pulls the boat with the greatest of ease and comfort. A Typhoon would be a breeze and the 22 only slightly more difficult with the tow vehicle and the water depth at the ramp being the major issues.

Bill Member #250.
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

Markst95 wrote: I did a 6 day trip with my son (10) last year and its doable, the nice thing about the Ty is there is tons of storage space for its size. Two teenagers and an adult would be pushing it though. The main thing is to find anchorages where you can get to the shore easy, you can pull a ty in pretty close and hop overboard. It also helps to have a port with a place to wash up, eat out, every couple of days.
Thanks Mark. I'm 6'2", 230# and the boys aren't getting any smaller. I'd like to make a tradition of at least one jouney a year with them for as long as I can. I nice way to keep connected I think.
If it was unbearably tight I think it would be harder to get them down with the plan.
barfwinkle wrote:A Typhoon would be a breeze and the 22 only slightly more difficult with the tow vehicle and the water depth at the ramp being the major issues.
At my home reservoir the limit is 25' and there are several boats stored there of that size. I drove through the other day just to check out their keels. At 3'draft I think the 22 would be OK and certainly the Ty. I will check the water depth too, but it is a pretty steep ramp. The water level fluctuates from year to year depending on rainfall. Last yeat was a good year with full access for the entire summer.

Like I mentioned, the mast can stay up the entire season unless I want to venture into other waters. If breaking her down is a real chore then the likelihood of that happening is much less of course. If there is not a big difference between the 22 and Ty I think I would go larger.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Spruce Run and Round Valley reservoirs

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Allen,

Click on the links below for the "maps" for the Spruce Run and Round Valley reservoirs.

Spruce Run Reservoir Map
Round Valley Reservoir Map

The depths in Spruce Run range pretty much between 25-75 feet. What you need to be concerned with are the depths near shore and at the ramp. If the ramp is steep enough to launch a boat with a fixed-keel and draft of 3', go for it. In addition to the 25' max length, the max mast height above the waterline is 30' since there are power lines that cross one section of the lake.

The Round Valley reservoir is really deep, with depths up to 160'. As far as I know, Round Valley doesn't have a height restriction.

We sailed our Zuma on both lakes, but we cartopped the boat and launched it from the beach, not the ramps, so I don't know what the ramps are like.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 22nd, '10, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

Thanks Cathy! Round Valley is a little scary. I think it is over 190 in a few spots. Rumor is, if you make it to the bottom you might find the lost city of Atlantis. Seriously though, you don't see too many sailboats on Round Valley. I hear the winds can shift 90* in a flash. If you swamp a boat there, you will never see it again.

I'm going to do a little survey of Spruce Runs ramp this evening on the way home from work. I'll post some measurements and ask for more input then.

that's a very good point you made about the power line. I forgot about that. 30' above the water line is the limit. That pretty much rules out the CD22.

Alan
Heeling hard toward the Typhoon.
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

OK, went to see a few boats yesterday. Typhoon is out. Way too small in the cabin for my needs. The 22 I looked at was great. And the mast is actually under the 30' limit at my local reservoir. Back in play.

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether I want to be a trailer sailor or not. If so, I need to buy a trailer; if not, do I consider going the next size up to a 25?

I think I am going to take the 2-3 day ASA sailing course.