Honda 5 hp (no), Honda 8 hp (yes) on CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Honda 5 hp (no), Honda 8 hp (yes) on CD 25

Post by Tom Foley »

After two days using the Honda 5 we have decided to return it and get an 8 hp classic, 4 stroke, long shaft Honda to replace our defunct 22 year-old 8 hp Mariner. The 5 sounds like a lawn mower, vibrates a lot, and labored to get back in the Kennebunk River at 1/3 falling tide. The classic is smaller and lighter than the new round shape. The dealer (Great Bay Marine, Newington,NH) said you can't find them on the Honda web site. The extra $400 will be worth it.
carldoc

Post by carldoc »

Just curious. Electric start,alternator, and price?
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Tom Foley

Price for Honda 5 & 8 four stroke, long shaft

Post by Tom Foley »

The 5 is $1600 and the 8 is $2000. This is about $400 below list. They are pull start. An alternator is available for both.
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

The Classic 8 fits?

Post by Roy J. »

I haven't heard of any 4 strokes over 6hp that can get into the well and/or allow the top to close. Did this require modification of the well? Is this a long shaft? Does it com ein a short shaft version? Any idea what it weighs?

Thanks for the heads up and in advance for the additional info.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
Tom Foley

I hope so

Post by Tom Foley »

The classic 8 is available in short shaft and weighs about 75 pounds. I have seen the 8 and it is just a bit taller than the 5. It doesn't look much different than a 2 stroke. I may have to cut down the motor mount about an inch or let the lid rest on the motor. The mount was adjusted by the previous owner by inserting a wedge on each side to make the mount close to vertical and about an inch forward. I'll know better next week when the motor arrives.

I found that I still had to motor with the lid up using the 5. Not exhaust, but not enough air.

Tom
Mike Johnson

honda 8 hp

Post by Mike Johnson »

my honda 8 fits without any modifications. i just had to take the tiller handle off before mounting and that was it.
Tom Foley

throttle fit

Post by Tom Foley »

No need to remove it to install. Just point it down at a 45 degree angle by opening the by pass spring. Pull up the throttle as the motor is placed on the mounting.