under waterline paints

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

azazz

under waterline paints

Post by azazz »

short and simple. want to and need to repaint a typhoon and a cd10. have don extensive fiberglass work on hulls. must return the barrier coat. the interlux and other major popular brand of paints(cant remember name right this minute) say that they are for ubove the waterline or for boats that will be trailered. What paint can be used as a substitute for a jell coat?
Thanks Adam Z.
Carl Thunberg

from Don Casey

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Adam,

I don't pretend to know a lot about the various marine coatings, but I know how to open a book. In Don Casey's book "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual", on pages 281 through 283 he lists what can be used below the water line. The short answer is, there don't appear to be any paints that take the place of gelcoat as a barrier coat below the water line. He recommends using epoxy as a primer/sealer below the water line. Then use the bottom paint of your choice.

Perhaps some of our more seasoned veterans may want to add to, modify, or correct what I've said here. Like I said at the outset, this is not my area of expertise, but I noticed no one else was attempting to answer your question.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton