CD-25 Depth Transducer Installation Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gzachmann

CD-25 Depth Transducer Installation Questions

Post by gzachmann »

I have been trying to find a location in my CD-25 (outboard well version) to install an in-hull depth transducer. I have tried a few transducers at various locations by holding them against a plastic bag filled with water that inturn is against a sanded smooth spot in the hull. At best I get erratic readings or none at all. All of the transducers work fine if held overboard directly in the water.

I though the CD-25 had a solid fiberglass hull but now I am not sure.

Does an internal liner need to be cut out prior to installing a transducer inside the hull of a CD-25?

Thanks for any info or advise.

George
George Zachmann
Neavitt, MD
gzachmann@zyteq.com
carldoc

transducer

Post by carldoc »

My CD25 has a thru hull transducer. there is a thru hull on either side of the keel beneath the berths,just before the head area. The previous owner had them installed. The depth is one the port side,knotometer is on starboard.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: CD-25 Depth Transducer Installation Questions

Post by Carter Brey »

gzachmann wrote:
I though the CD-25 had a solid fiberglass hull but now I am not sure.

Does an internal liner need to be cut out prior to installing a transducer inside the hull of a CD-25?

Thanks for any info or advise.

George
George,

Yes, the hull is solid laminate. The problem is that you must cut an access panel out of the liner. There is a void between the liner and the hull, which is why you cannot get a reading.

A Dremel tool would work nicely for cutting away a rectangular piece of liner. You could also use a large (5") hole saw. Or a series of tangential cuts with smaller hole saws.

Remember to sand the rough texture of the fiberglass mat down to a good smooth surface before mounting the transducer in order to eliminate any small voids.

Are you intending to mount the transducer inside a mineral oil-filled ring? Or directly to the hull? 3M 4200 works well, and can be removed with DeBond 2000.

Best regards,
Carter Brey