Hexaratchet & Jib Furling Line

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jddj

Hexaratchet & Jib Furling Line

Post by jddj »

I finally have a little hexaratchet on the furling line for my Harken furler. Now how to use it properly. The instructions call for controlled drag on the furling line when letting out the jib to prevent overlaps. Does this mean that one sets the block so it locks when one pulls in the line and so you hold against the ratchet as you let the line out when setting the jib?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Pardon my ignorance, but whats a hexaratchet?

When I set my jib I just give the furling line one wrap around a winch and keep it tensioned with my hand. In decent wind if you just try to hold it without a wrap you will tear the skin right off your hand once the wing fills the jib. Perhaps this hexaratchet you mentioned is some easier method for keeping the furling line tension? If so you have me very curious.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
jddj

Hexaratchet

Post by jddj »

Hexaratchet is trade name for a Harken block that free wheels in one direction and acts like a cam in the other. Can be switche on and off.
Richard G.

Furling Line

Post by Richard G. »

I set my line up so that the line is checked so that it it is "cleated" in the direction of the load. This takes the pressure off you of having the sail unfurl more than you want it to until you get it cleated off (if you are reducing sail or just want to pause while unfurling it).
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

A HUMBLE CONFESSION

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Richard and all,

I've gotta confess:

After all these years, I still get mixed up in regard to furling vs unfurling. Which does what? One of these days, months, years I'll get it straight. I'm running out of time. But that's okay.

Besides, it's not a high priority item. Right now, I'm concentrating on flammable/inflammable. Oy vey! :D

I can't find my extra strength Tylenol. When I think too hard, I get a headache. That's why I've been coasting for the last twenty or so years. :) :D :wink:

Have a good rainy weekend,
O J
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: A HUMBLE CONFESSION

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I can't find my extra strength Tylenol. When I think too hard, I get a headache.
Stop thinking about where you left the Tylenol and you'll feel better. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Hexaratchet with cam cleat

Post by John D. »

I have a hexaratchet with cam cleat bolted to the starboard stern pulpit.

Mine is set up to resist the unfurling (to me, letting the sail out). The ratchet clicks when I furl, and simply slides over the locked pulley when I unfurl.

Furling works great. I can luff up momentarily, give 1 good pull, and go from full genoa to "working jib" in seconds.

Unfurling is trickier. When unfurling, the resistance is sensitive to the angle at which the furling line feeds into the block. 180 degrees of contact means high resistance, and a controlled unfurling of the sail. Less contact means less resistance. The problem is that with the cam cleat, more contact means pulling the line between the cams, which gives total resistance. :wink: To keep the line clear of the cam cleat, you have to basically let the line run free, and then trim it back. Sometimes in light wind I can hold it, but using my thumb as an accidental belaying pin is not my idea of fun, and it is not a perfectly controlled process.

A better set up would have the cam cleat (or simple horn cleat) on the coaming or deck. That would make furling slightly more complicated, but would add a lot more control to unfurling.