Cabin Height

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob G.

Cabin Height

Post by Bob G. »

What is the cabin height of the CD 25 vs. the CD 25D. I`m looking at moving up in size to a boat where I don`t have to always bend my head. I`m 5 11 and shrinking.

Bob G.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

25D = 5'11"

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bob,

I'm sure you already know that the 25 and 25D are very different boats. If you're looking for standing headroom, the 25D is the boat you'll want.

If you're 5' 11" (and shrinking, like the rest of us old guys), then the 25D cabin height would be most comfortable for you. The listed cabin height of the 25D is, indeed, 5'11". (I'm 5'8" and shrinking, so it's very comfortable for me.) As you shrink, you'll find the 25D's cabin will get more comfortable.

The 25 will not give you standing headroom (at least not until your shrinking turns into shriveling). In fact, it won't really give you standing headroom, period. However, many more 25s were built than 25Ds, and they are less expensive.

I'm a 25D owner, and I love the boat. But if you've spent any time on this board, you'll know that there are LOTS of 25 owners out there--and they rave about the way their boats sail.

Hope this helps.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Post by George Shaunfield »

Bob,

In case you are interested the CD26 also has measured headroom of 5'11" or maybe a hair over. The 26 is a foot longer and a shade heavier than the 25D, but they share the same sail rig. Both are great boats.

George
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 25D = 5'11"

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote: As you shrink, you'll find the 25D's cabin will get more comfortable.
So as we get smaller, the boat gets (relatively) bigger? Great alternative to spending $$$ for a bigger boat!

Other things change in relative size as we age, too, Joe. Like the ever deepening snow I had to walk through to school when I was a kid (uphill both ways).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

The good ole days

Post by Steve Laume »

Neil, that snow reminds me of the woman I bought my property from. She still lived across from me until she was well into her 90s. I would stop and talk to her some times, like when I knew I had all day. She would tell me about the old times and how much better things were back then. The most telling thing she ever imparted on me was that "the ice cream was colder". Remember when the wind was always a steady 15 knots, Steve.