okechobie waterway

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leonard Lookner

okechobie waterway

Post by Leonard Lookner »

Has anyone been through the Okechobie waterway in a C.D. 36?
There is a 49 foot bridge and we have 48' 6" mast height off the water. Aught to at least bend the VHF antenna. I know that there is a guy that will tip you for 150.00 dollars but is it necessary? Someone suggested filling your dingy with water and putting some pressure on it with the main halyard but is that necessary?
marilou

Post by marilou »

I don't have any local knowledge, but my experience is...

After a week sailing up the bay I was taking the boat "home" and a Hurricane was approaching. I wanted to get the boat up a river near the cottage in protected waters. It was late at night and I had never been under this bridge before. There were extra high tides already approaching, but I wanted to get to ashore in a safe place. Chart listed bridge at 43' - my CD270 mast A.W.L. listed at 41' 4". The wind vane was scrapping and turning on the steel girders and the whip antenna was pulled back. Made the bridge and then I saw power lines! I thought to myself that these must be higher (not look like it from were I was). Made it!

After many future passages under this bridge I attemted to time it when the tide was not at its highest. I would also watch for power boats approaching and flag them down to a zero wake, as I pointed up to the top of my mast.

I do know of fellow that had a large racing sailboat that would go down the Intercoastal and would have to go under one bridge backwards in order to clear.
marilou

Other thoughts

Post by marilou »

I have seen pictures up boats entering Harbors with brave crews standing on the spreaders to heel the boat.

You might experiment with letting the mast out with some weight...
crew, dingy, anchor, etc.????
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

okechobie waterway

Post by George Shaunfield »

Nautical charts show clearance for heights measured from mean higher high water (MHHW). Whereas depths are measured based on mean lower low water (MLLW). If you can pass under that bridge at sometime other than high tide, you certainly stand a better chance of adequate clearance.

George
Leonard Lookner

okechobie waterway

Post by Leonard Lookner »

I posted this message after transversing the waterway on a friends trawler, a fate befallen of old sailors. In the marina at Indiantown, Fla. there is a 36 foot cape dory from Ontario named Nutmeg. He may have come east to west from Stuart or perhaps west to east from Fort Myers. If he did he had to pass through the 49 foot railroad bridge.
So I kind of thought, well it's not the adventure of a blue water excursion but a small glimpse of Florida of an earlier time, god knows there isn't much of that, and I assumed that the trip must have been done by many a Cape Dory 36 or perhaps the bridge is to low and limits the use.
Skip

Okeechobee

Post by Skip »

I won't comment on the air draft of that bridge because I don't know for sure, but I will add a friendly precaution about the lake in general.

Two or three weeks ago a 40' tug, the Bertie M. was capcised and sunk in a blow on the lake. Both crew members were eventually rescued but of course the Bertie M. ... well.

I know that boat and know her to have been handled by competent hands and to have been in good shape.

I also remember well as a kid, crossing aboard an 82' footer with her masts on deck. It was a night crossing and quite rough. The boat drew 6' and grouded on the bottom in the troughs several times. ~Shudder~

The point is, choose your weather for the Lake can be treacherous, even deadly at times. Usually it's a very nice ride though. Also, be prepared to accomodate high-rolling cowboys in their sport-fishermen. They can be insane and the total antithesis of either courteous or prudent.

I hope that your trip is pleasant and uneventful as it should be. It's a real fine experience and one that I hope is enjoyable for you and your crew.

Skip