CD 31 owners Help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

CD 31 owners Help

Post by Phil Shedd »

I am trying to install a propane tank (locker) in the aft locker on our boat . I thought I had it solved until I measured the open size of the locker and found I only have 11 inches.

Would 31 owners please tell me how they installed there tank or discribe the factory install unit that I think later 31s came with. Pictures would a great help. You know a picture is worth .........

Any and all information will be of help Thanks

Phil

Still under wraps
Bill Sonntag

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Sorry I can't help - but just to let you know, I still use the CNG setup the boat came with. Good luck.

Bill Sonntag
Tom in Cambria

Propane Locker for 31

Post by Tom in Cambria »

I described how I did it on my 31 a year or two back. You may find it in the archives, but briefly what I did was cut a hole in the aft deck between the lazarette hatch and the stern rail, and between the bilge vents. Then I made a plywood box and set it halfway down in the hole so that half of it is above deck level and half of it is below deck level. A hose drains from the bottom of the box and to a throughull in the transom. If there is ever any leakage it drains overboard behind the boat. I ran the hose to the stove around the starboard side of the cockpit locker to the stove with one of those fireproof outside hoses and ran the real hose inside that. In the box is a remote shut off switch so that you can shut it off by flipping a switch next to the stove, And, of course, for long term shut down you open the box cover and crank the valves shut by hand. The box holds the little half sized propane tanks (two) so you can switch to the second and go fill the first. I don't have a website and can't post pictures here, but if it sounds like something you might want to do I'll see if I can find the photos I took at the time and scan them and send them to you directly. Email "TomCambria at fastpop dot net" using the symbols rather than these words and I'll send them to you. It sounds like you want to go with the ready made ones though, so this might not help. I custom made my own locker out of plywood and epoxy.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Propane Locker for 31

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Tom Coons wrote:I described how I did it on my 31 a year or two back. You may find it in the archives, but briefly what I did was cut a hole in the aft deck between the lazarette hatch and the stern rail, and between the bilge vents. Then I made a plywood box and set it halfway down in the hole so that half of it is above deck level and half of it is below deck level. A hose drains from the bottom of the box and to a throughull in the transom. If there is ever any leakage it drains overboard behind the boat. I ran the hose to the stove around the starboard side of the cockpit locker to the stove with one of those fireproof outside hoses and ran the real hose inside that. In the box is a remote shut off switch so that you can shut it off by flipping a switch next to the stove, And, of course, for long term shut down you open the box cover and crank the valves shut by hand. The box holds the little half sized propane tanks (two) so you can switch to the second and go fill the first. I don't have a website and can't post pictures here, but if it sounds like something you might want to do I'll see if I can find the photos I took at the time and scan them and send them to you directly. Email "TomCambria at fastpop dot net" using the symbols rather than these words and I'll send them to you. It sounds like you want to go with the ready made ones though, so this might not help. I custom made my own locker out of plywood and epoxy.
Take a look at one of Tom's previous posted messages regarding his conversion from CNG to propane at:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... cker#34482

Tom, if you have any photos, I think they would help.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay