Interior Paneling: Teak or Mahogany

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cahenesy

Interior Paneling: Teak or Mahogany

Post by cahenesy »

I am replacing some interior wooden panels in the galley of a 1981 CD 30 that I recently purchased. The panels in questions are two of the three that sit on the counter top and have sliding doors in them with storage behind. Apparently at some point some water got into the boat and sat in a shallow pool on top of the counter and soaked into the panels causing rot and delamination.

I have removed the panels and they appear to be some sort of 1/2" veneer plywood. I haven't had any luck at all finding 1/2" teak or mahogany plywood, but there is a place here in town that sells sheets of marine plywood and sheets of both teak and mahogany veneer. The question is what type of wood is this? I would like it to match the third panel which was not damaged and which I am not planing on removing.

Thanks!
Chris
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Interior Paneling, Teak Or Mahogany

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Chris,

There is a place not too far from you, in Atlanta, that might be helpful. I mentioned this place to others, who later said that they were well pleased with what they had to offer.

The name of the place is Carlton McClendon Rare Wood and Veneers

There are several types of mahogany and teak of varying shades and tones. Bring a sample of the old paneling with you and they might be able to closely match it with something that they carry or could order.

Good luck,

O J
Efrost
Virginia Beach, VA

Unique woods

Post by Efrost »

Can not say what it will cost to buy or ship, or if they even have what you need, but check these folks out http://www.yukonlumber.com/

They have a lot of wood that is hard/difficult to find.
Ed
Steve Laume

Teak

Post by Steve Laume »

Ours is a 1984 and all the interior plywood is teak. The cabin sole is teak and holly. The strips lining the hull are ash. Nice stuff, Steve.
LoneStar

Post by LoneStar »

The original sliding door frame panels in my CD30K were laminated teak, but have been replaced with solid mahogany and look just fine - the difference is not discernable except with respect to grain pattern; and I still use the original teak sliding doors...

Regards,

Mike
chase

pywood, veneer

Post by chase »

Hi Chris, have fun with your new boat.

I visited Carlton McClendon Rare Wood and Veneers at Oswego Johns rec. and was very pleased. I remember enquiring about their marine grade plywood but can't remember for the life of me what the deal was. They are in the Tech area.

I did get a nice piece of teak lumber for a toerail repair and bought some very old (and thick) veneer he had lying about for dirt-cheap. He had more. At $1 or so a sheet (~6 x 30) I'd stockpile some regardless. If you go the veneer route in the galley you may want a "fresher" sheet.

Had the same problem in my galley but got away with sanding, re-gluing the veneer and varnishing. Then I caulked it really well.

Too bad you can’t find teak plywood, the veneer step will add another dimension to the task - but OJ and other have more experience with that. You might actually come out better. Since the plywood will be off you can glue on the veneer on the bench….The price difference may be significant between his sheet goods and teak plywood.

Take Care,

Chase
(at one time of Gainesville, GA)
Stan W.

1/2 inch teak faced plywood should not be hard to find.

Post by Stan W. »

I just bought some the other day from these guys:

http://www.boulterplywood.com/

You should be able to find someone closer to home but, if not, these guys do a brisk mail-order business.