Help Build a Sailing Library

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Montana
Member 781

Help Build a Sailing Library

Post by Joe Montana »

My local library plans to rebuild its section on sailing, and the person in charge admits she knows nothing about sailing. She has asked for suggestions on what they might purchase. A great opportunity for local sailors! I've sifted through the "winter reading" thread for ideas. Does anyone have additional suggestions for RECENTLY PUBLISHED books?
John Danicic

sailing

Post by John Danicic »

Antares:

What an opportunity!

Have your librarian check out what Good Old Boat Magazine carries in their bookstore. A very interesting and complete listing of recent books.
http://goodoldboat.no-ip.com:8080/GOBWeb/GOBBooks

Sail on
John Danicic
CD 36 Mariah #124
Lake Superior
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Sailing reference, how to, sailing experiences?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Or all of the above? If you are in a sailing area I would think that you would need a lot of reference and "how to" books. Cruising guides; tide tables; "This Old Boat"; the "12 Volt Bible" etc.; books on fiberglass repair; how to select buy a boat; small boat sailing, big boat sailing, catamaran sailing; The "Annapolis Book of Seamanship"; books on knots. You could probably get a start just by looking at the books listed in the West Marine catalogue. The have a good selection.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Steve Laume

where is your library?

Post by Steve Laume »

What a lucky dog you are to have your library looking for current sailing books. Ours has a very good selection for an inland library. It is mostly donations that are a bit dated but still a great deal of good reading material. I have not even checked the Groton/Mystic library as yet. I am heading for the boat tomorrow and I may finally get a chance to stop in and see what kind of selection they have. So may great books for just one lifetime, Steve
ronkberg

Sailing References

Post by ronkberg »

Many years ago I took sailing lessons in Marbelhead and the recommended text was Chapman's.......sorry but I do not know the full title and I leave my copy in Maine.

It has been updated multiple times since I got mine but it is always there for my reference.

Ron
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Don't forget...

Post by Neil Gordon »

... the complete set of John Vigor books.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Montana
Member 781

Thanks for the Suggestions

Post by Joe Montana »

N/M