Typhoon question: halyard exit

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Martin

Typhoon question: halyard exit

Post by John Martin »

The halyards exit the mast straight back, but angle to the side of the main hatch. With this setup it is dificult, at best, to get proper halyard tension. This says nothing about the chafe.
Has anyone changed this arrangement?
The people at Harken gave me a possible solution.
I would like to hear how others have address this matter.

John
KnoTy Boy
Ty #1655
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi John, I like the halyard arrangement on the typhoon. I find that I'm centered in the cockpit while hauling up the sail. I get the tension I want, then I hold tension, and rotate over to the cleat.
Dave Hedlund
Steve Laume

It only seems wrong

Post by Steve Laume »

I never thought the routing for the halyards seemed right either. Despite the way it looks I never had any problems with chafing. Do you have a winch on your starboard cabin top for the main? That is common and would relieve the main halyard tensioning problem. What a great boat, Steve.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Hi Steve,

No winch's on the cabin top yet. This Ty has only the rigging on it that came with the boat from the yard in 1979, nothing optional has ever been added. I am in the process of changing all of that.

It would be nice to set-up KnoTy Boy to race. I would like a chance to compete against those pesky Santana 20's. It is difficult to get good halyard tension with the current set-up.

The plan is to put halyard exit plates on the mast just above and below (port, starboard) the goose neck. Near deck level I want to place a swivel turning block with cam (port, starboard), for each halyard. I will add a winch or two if the need is there.

Other things that will impact this arrangement are; addition of boom-vang, addition of Boomkicker, and halyard organizer plate under the mast step.

I am wondering if anyone else has made any halyard modification.

John
KnoTy Boy
Ty #1655
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
like ever one else, i see no need to changes it...

it works just fine...

besides with a boom vang or not its not in the way...

i changed just about ever thing on board inside and out, but the way it is set up for sailing...

i added a two horn cleats for self steering and all the lines running back to where i sit...
winthrop
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Typhoon halyards

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

I agree totally that the standard routing works fine and puts the halyards as noted out of the way of the vang. The main gets it's tension from the Cunningham (since you surely aren't still using a downhaul on the boom), and the jib is such a small sail that human power should get it pretty darn tight!
The other lines for a spinnaker or gennaker take a lot of creativity and it seems to me that it could be a complication if the halyards were rerouted and then limited how you could rig those lines.
My 2¢ only...
Serge
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Hi Serge,

Right now I only have the cleat at the bottom of the mast to tension the leading edge of the main sail. However, all of the parts for the cunningham are on order.

Installing boomvang and Boomkicker are my current project. I brought the boom home yesterday so I can get it ready for the week-end. One major part should be here by Friday.

Next project is the cunningham. All of these parts are still on order. This should be fairly easy to complete when the parts are here.

Most of the parts for the outhaul are on the boat now. Just need to get to this project. With the boom and mainsail off the boat, this project is low priority.

We still need to nail down a few more details for the mast compression post. I have a work-around in place.

The halyard project is down the road. And, further down the road is the spinnaker project. By moving the halyards to the side of the mast and external at the base of the mast, the halyards should stay clear of the boomvang. I plan to use the old halyard exit for spinnaker and pole topping lift. I will only add winches on top of the cabin if the need is still there.

I am trying to go slow enough to foresee any problems. At every stage I take the boat out sailing, to see how everything is working and to see what needs to be done next. The archives have been my best tool. Every thing I have done so far has been ideas off this board.

John
KnoTy Boy