Time for new stove!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

andy
Location: Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

Time for new stove!

Post by andy »

Hi all...
The original stove aboard our CD30K is in need of burner replacements.

We will be driving from NH to the NE Fleet meeting on friday, the 20th. Is there a marine consignment shop that might have a good replacement between here and there?

The admiral thinks that maybe just a two burner non-pressure alcohol drop-in cooktop like the origo would do the job. That is a possiblity, but if a good used unit w/oven like the original is available we would consider it.

Andy N1ZXD
CD30K Watermark II
Lake Winnipesaukee
Richard Bell

Origo stove

Post by Richard Bell »

I had the same problem a year ago. I replaced the stove/oven with a two burner origo stove using the gimbal equipment from the old stove. Once I put the old gimbals on (which included the pot holders), the whole unit fit right in the existing slots. I then bolted a small microwave to the bottom of the stove. It eliminated any tilting problems and since I microwave more than bake its worked out great.

Rick
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
andy

new stove

Post by andy »

Rick,
that sounds like a good plan.
Is the microwave 12V?

Andy N1ZXD
CD30K Watermark II
Lake Winnipesaukee
Frank Vernet

Origo Stove

Post by Frank Vernet »

Last spring I removed our aging propane 2-burner range & oven. I installed the 2-burner Origo range top (with the intention of later adding the oven) but immediately de-installed it, repacked and returned it the seller. I thought it looked tiny and a bit ludicrous in the large space formerly occupied by a full-size propane stove (a Tasco).

This was purely an issue of asthetics and not functionality. I went with the Origo because of a vexing propane storage issue and becasue several CDSOA forumites posted glowing comments about their Origo experience. I was quite disappointed and still do not have this resolved.

FWIT

r/
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Richard Bell

Origo stove

Post by Richard Bell »

It is not a 12v microwave. I usually use the stove or grill at anchor. If I have to use the Microwave I have a 2000w inverter. I understand the comments about the little stove in the big area. But once I attached the gimbals with the pot holders and then attached the microwave, it took up the space. There is a decent clearance on the sides and bottom. It does not have the depth of the old oven.

I might add, I got rid of the stove/oven only because it had not been used and was in disrepair. I owned a 30 previously with a working kerosene/alcohol stove oven and loved it. Very reliable and I considered safe with sober adult supervision.

Rick
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
Ron M.

Consignment stores

Post by Ron M. »

Andy,
If you are going to Waterford, Ct. there are two marine consignment stores I know of close by. Marine Consignments in Wickford, R.I. and one in Mystic, Ct. whose name escapes me, (search "Where to look) . They are usually hit or miss but always interesting to poke around.Perhaps with a little cabinetwork you can utilize that space more efficiently and use a smaller cooktop.
________
Colorado Dispensaries
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Home pages for both... I'd call first.

Post by RIKanaka »

The one in Wickford (N. Kingstown):

http://www.marineconsignment.com

The one in Mystic:

http://www.mysticboatstuff.com
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
bottomscraper

Feb 2006 Issue of Lats & Atts

Post by bottomscraper »

The latest (Feb 2006) issue of Lats & Atts has an article on "fixing" your stove with an aluminum beer can. It references this web page:

<a href=http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html> http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html </a>

Personally it doesn't look UL approved to me but... :)
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

re: beer can stove

Post by RIKanaka »

Nice scouting project for my son that I can use too when he's done!
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
andy

stove situation

Post by andy »

Hi all...
Thanks for the replies... the thought is that we will extend the counter to fill in the hole where the old stove was and drop in the flush mount origo w/butcher block cover and put a small micrwave under that counter. The formica counter top could stand to be replaced anyway.

However we will still look around a little more before tackling the project (its real cold at the boat yard).

We were at the mystic consignment shop in nov. anf its probably worth another visit. We will also check out the one in kingston.

Hope meet some of you at the winter meeting.

Andy N1ZXD
CD30K Watermark II
Lake Winnipesaukee
Steve Laume

Boat stuff in Mystic

Post by Steve Laume »

Keeping my boat in Noak I manage to get to Boat Stuff a fair bit. I particulary like the book section. Paula has a nice leather office chair that sits over by the book shelves and it has wheels! Nothing better than having a seat and rolling along to look at all the books she has. I believe she is only open on Sundays durring the winter months. Don't forget to mention that you are a CDSOA member for your discount, Steve.
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

origo stoves on Ebay

Post by Paul Grecay »

I just noticed a couple of origo drop in stoves currently on ebay....going cheap so far.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

New line of Origo stoves and that beer can stove

Post by Joe Myerson »

FWIW, Origo will be releasing a new line of slimmer flush-mounted alcohol stoves featuring a 12-volt electric ignition system some time this spring.

They will, of course be more even expensive than the company's existing stoves.

For myself, I'm thinking of getting a six-pack of Heineken in cans and experimenting with the little stove mentioned in this month's "Lats and Atts."

I went to the designer's website, and he explains that he built it as an ultra-lightweight backpacker's stove. My guess is that using a pair of these things as replacement burners for a two-burner stove would only be practical in port. On the other hand, my old pressurized alcohol stove isn't much good.

And what an excuse to enjoy some nice Dutch beer!

BTW, here's a link to the guy who invented the Heineken beer-can stove:

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#

--Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627