Can you put a windvane on a boat with a motor well?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sustutt

Can you put a windvane on a boat with a motor well?

Post by sustutt »

Would the Board wish to comment?
Can you put a windvane on a boat with a motorwell? I called Scanmar Intn'l today and they thought that that was not too realistic, as they would interfere mechanically with each other.

The comment was also made that on boats in the 24 to 26 foot class that even an outboard on the transom may interfere with a windvane because the transom width is too short.

Any comments? Anyone know of a boat with a windvane and an outboard together on size 24-26 ft. (beam 7 - 8 ft.)? Well?

Thanks,
Susan
Didereaux

certainly....

Post by Didereaux »

In a word? Certainly!

Most common is Pearson Ariel 26'. Also consider the Flicka with a canoe stern, outboard rudder, many have windvanes. Scanmar is wrong, period.

Some styles would require mounting changes...so? Almost all models of vanes require customizing to fit specific boats.

...ooops, I need ot stop don't I...I said in a 'word'! Ah c'mon Neil gimme a break here. ;)

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Singaporesam
San Diego Bay

Certainly!

Post by Singaporesam »

When I bought GE, she had been rigged for a Monitor windvane. The PO had sold a portion of it but the transom mounts are still there. I also have several large pcs. of the SS tubing for the mechanism, alo.
Thanks
Dana
Dana Vincent
Mike C

windvane on small cape dory

Post by Mike C »

there must be some mistake: I just got a quote from Scanmar on putting a monitor on my CD25, I called and got that quote because just recently there was a monitor on a 26 footer here in Ft. Lauderdale. I wanted a Navik because it was lighter and smaller but Navik will be closing down sometime in the furture so parts will be impossible, Navik parts are long waiting at this moment. I did not buy the Monitor because of the array of plumbing sticking out the stern of the CD25. Instead I purchased a used Navico, its only fault is that it does not follow the wind patterns. BUT that said: if anyone has the building plans for an old QME or old style Windpilot I would love to buy a copy so I can build my own.