Wisconsin Sailors - Help Please!!!!!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin L.
San Francisco (Alameda) CA

Wisconsin Sailors - Help Please!!!!!

Post by Kevin L. »

I'm thinking seriously about accepting a job offer in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm wondering what to do with my beloved CD30c. Needless to say my preference would be to bring her with me from San Francisco, but I have no clue at this point where to put her, and whether or not she is the right tool for the job given where I will be living.

Can anyone help with suggestions as to where an appropriate marina would be within reasonable distance of Madison? Are there appropriate crusing areas in the vicinity? I know there are a lot of lakes in the area, but I'm looking for opportunities to sail to a remote destination over a weekend. Or should I just put aside my crusing ambitions (and this particular boat) and just get a trailer-sailer?

Last, can anyone give me an idea what I will be looking at in terms of annual haul/store/put-in costs?

Any ideas/suggestions/local knowledge will be most appreciated.
Kevin LeMans
L.DeMers
Sailing Lake SUperior

Sailing in Wisconsin

Post by L.DeMers »

Kevin,

I am looking at a map of WI. now. From Madison, you are:

132 miles from Green Bay on Lake Michigan
75 miles from Milwaukee on Lake. Michigan
284 miles to Bayfield, WI. on Lake. Superior, where I am at.

On either lake, the sailing is wonderful! Lake Superior offers more secluded and out of the way anchorages of course, while Lake. Michigan has a lot more people enjoying the sailing, many, many marinas to chose from, and some secluded destinations, but not as many as Superior.

Trucking your CD30 to Wisconsin will run around $3k, but if you can find someone that is returning to the east coast or the midwest empty, the price may be less. We moved our boat from New York to Superior, and were surprised to learn the driver even knew the marina we were at (maybe not as remote as we thought?).

Seems that Milwaukee would be your best bet Kevin, with a 75 minute drive on Interstate 94, you would be in better driving range than at least half of the others you will find there. We have one family that drives 7 hours each way to get to their boat each weekend (from Rochester, MN to Bayfield, WI).

You will find good sailing conditions for the CD30 here, challenging in fact. If you decide that you want to move up to Superior eventually, it's easily sailed (well, relatively) over a 1 week period.

Shoot me an email if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Larry DeMers
s/v DeLaMer
Cape Dory 30
Lake Superior
Larry DeMers
S/V DeLaMer
Cape Dory 30c
Lake Superior
John Danicic

Don't abandon the ship.

Post by John Danicic »

Kevin:

Don't abandon the ship.
Shake off the East/West Coast mentality that feels there is nothing in the middle. There is...it's just different.

Madison is a great town as well. Lot's of fun summer and winter. No need to sell off your CD, just add the transport to your relocation expenses. Besides the two Great Lakes that Larry mentioned, there is also Lake Oshkosh which is a comfortably sized lake close by.

Your biggest adjustment will be the shorter season and need to "winterize" your boat every fall. I would imagine that your dockage costs here would be similar to San Francisco, lots of $$, so not a big change there.

Take a drive to Door county which is the peninsula that sticks up into Lake Michigan and to Bayfield by the Apostles Island National Park in Lake Superior. Check them both out. You can't go wrong at any of the locations but look first because, as Larry mentioned, each area has it own lure.

As far as cruising ambitions are concerned, don't give them up either. Lots of remote, exotic places to drop anchor near and there are several ways to sail from Wisconsin to the Ocean. It just takes a little time.

I am sure all the upper Great Lakes sailors are standing by to help you because we can't go sailing for a few more months. Misery loves company!

Sail on.
John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior

Here a link to a bunch of my photos from around Lake Superior.
http://www.johndanicic.com/sailing.htm
Scott F

TAKE YOUR BOAT WITH, 2 Good Sailing Lakes Right There

Post by Scott F »

Take your boat with because Madison sits on two great sailing lakes, Lake Mendota and Lake Monona.

I didn't know the size so I just Googled them. Lake Mendota is 9740 acres, 21 miles around. Now that is a bit inland lake. Max depth 84 feet.

Lake Monona is 3410 Acres, 13 miles around, 72 some feet max depth. Still pretty darn big.

I sail an inland 2200 acre lake, so Mendota sounds huge to me.

If you need a big lake, then Lake Michigan is maybe 1.5 to 2 hours East of Madison.

There are plenty of sailing clubs and marinas. Have fun!
Tod Mills

Wisconsin sailing

Post by Tod Mills »

My first job out of school was in Wisconsin. Manitowoc, to be exact. That would put you on the other side of the Door from Green Bay, opening up cruising destinations in northern Lake Michigan and you'd be reasonably close to the North Channel of Lake Huron as well.

Doesn't look like road access from Madison is quite as good as to Milwaukee, but it might be faster than it looks.

There's also Lake Winebago, for a closer drive, depending on the sort of sailing you do.

See my web page for a couple of tales of sailing on Lake Huron. Good sailing!

Here's the southeast coast of Manitoulin Island, not too far from northern Lake Michigan. I definitely wouldn't sell the boat given the choice; too much excellent sailing to be had.

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/Manitou ... tsmall.jpg[/img]
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Tod Mills

P.S. here's some more reading...

Post by Tod Mills »

....Jim Hebert has a virtual tour of the North Channel, plus a bunch of trip tales from years of cruising (aboard an S2 9.2).

Then too, Ron Dwelle, of the Great Lakes Cruising Club, has a book out called "Summer Studies", about many years of cruising on the Great Lakes.

Marlin Bree has some books out as well, one of which is about his experiences with a big storm on Lake Superior. www.marlinbree.com
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Dean Abramson

Keep Vote

Post by Dean Abramson »

Keep that rascal. Sail on!
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Appleton68

Door County

Post by Appleton68 »

While I live in MA I went to college in WI and have friends who enjoy sailing up in Door County. That is a hike from Madison, but many people drive up from Chicago on a regular basis. About 10 years ago I was in Door County and spotted a well kept Typhoon at the local marina.
Greg
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

I'd vote for Milwaukee

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Kevin:
A an ex-Lake Michigan sailor, I'd vote for Milwaukee. It's closest to Madison, getting a slip should be fairly easy, there's plenty of cruising destinations from Milwaukee. You will find plenty of support i.e. boatyards, chandlerys, sailmakers, yacht clubs, etc. Best of all, you can join the Lake Michigan Cape Dory Owners Association, a group of witty , good looking sailors with the same great taste in boats that you have!
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Come on over!

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Kevin,
Don't leave the boat behind. Lake Michigan is some of the very best sailing around. Yes, winter is long. But summer is superb. The water is fresh, that takes a lot less toll on the boat. Instead of messing summer up by working on projects, we do those in the winter. I've seen folks in Florida and California where the weather is good most of the time who rarely go out. I think it's because tomorrow will be just as good as today, so they don't go. And they don't go, and they don't go. When it's nice here, people tend to go.

I'm in the Milwaukee area and the sailing is great but it's over 80 miles to the other side of Lake Michigan. That limits you a little for weekends but is certainly great for a week or two. You can go north or south easily but distances are a bit long for a weekend unless you want to visit the same harbors repeatedly. You'll find harbors 25 to 30 miles apart.

I personally love Door County. Take a close look at a good chart of the area. Lots of harbors, lots of islands. Places to anchor or marinas. It is absolutely beautiful sailing. Sturgeon Bay is located where the ship canal connects Lake Michigan to Green Bay. This is the shortcut that avoids going over the top of Door County to get into Green Bay. There is a reason they built the shortcut! The top of the "thumb" of Door County is called Death's Door. The northern parts of this area are like going back in time 100 years. Water and forest. Very remote, not a lot of traffic.

North of Milwaukee, both Sheboygan and Manitowoc have beautiful marinas and are closer jumping off points to cruise to Green Bay or the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. There are great ports and facilities on the Michigan (state) side of the lake. All of the Lake Michigan ports are good salmon fishing spots as well. You can fish successfully off a sailboat under power.

The lakes in Madison are pretty, but my view is that a 30 would be confined there. As long as I'm spending your money and not mine, why not pick up a Typhoon for daysails in Madison and keep the 30 for the big water.

In any case, the Lake Michigan Cape Dory Owners Association would love to have you join. Let me know if you'd like more info on any of these suggestions. Madison is a great city. Welcome to Wisconsin!
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Madison WI

Post by Dave Brandt »

Kevin.

A good friend of mine lived in Madison and kept his boat at Sheboygan, a very nice facility and reasonable rates. He had to take the boat to Manitowoc to get hauled as they do not have a travel lift in Sheboygan. Fun sailing on Lake Michigan! Madison is a great town, lot's going on there.

Dave
Woody

The Great Lakes

Post by Woody »

Kevin
Bring your boat to the midwest, you will not be sorry. I agree with the last writer, the Madison lakes might be a bit confining for your 30'. I lived in the northern suburbs of Chicago for fifteen year and am very familier with the area. Yes, Milwaukee is the closest but (sorry to my cheesehead friends) BORING! If I were you I would really take a hard look at Doory County (Green Bay). Like Larry DeMers and John D, I sail on Lake Superior. It doesn't get any better than that. Door County is beautiful and will really make your weekends and crusing vacations special. Very different from what you are used to. Cruising on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan is also very special but as somebody pointed out, it is a trip to get there. Being in Doory County or up on Lake Superior is well worth the look. It is also fairly easy to move your boat around from season to season as well. Sailing from Green Bay down toward the Milwaukee area is pretty straightforward. Getting from the Apostle Islands, on Lake Superior, to the south would take considerably more time........but it would be a ball. for cruising, jumping off from Green Bay will get you to a lot more interesting destinations quicker than leaving from Milwaukee. You realize "free" information is worth just what yo pay for it though....... Good luck and welcome to the midwest. You're gonna loveMadison.
Woody
sanderpjwi
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Wisconsin Sailing

Post by sanderpjwi »

Kevin-

I live and sail in Door County. I have chartered in the San Juans and the Gulf Coast of FL a number of times. I assure you, when it is summer here, there is no better sailing then sailing on the Great Lakes. If you are the hardy sort, our sailing season in this area is May-October. For the faint-at-heart, it is June- September.

Manitowoc is about 2.5 hours from Madison by car. Manitowoc Marina is an easy 7-8 hour sail to Sturgeon Bay with two quaint harbors in between (Kewanuee and Algoma). 2006 dockage rates for a 30' slip at Manitowoc Marina is $1,310. Manitowoc caters to sailors and is one of the best service yards on Lake Michigan. See: http://www.manitowoc-marina.com/

Sturgeon Bay is about a 3.5 hour drive from Madison, dockage is available, but pricier. A 30' Slip at Quarterdeck Marina in Sturgeon Bay is $2,045. It is more oriented towards powerboats, but there are a number of sailboats that do dock there for the summer. Quartedeck Marina is across the bay from my house.

UW has a great small boat sailing club (Hoofers) and, in the winter months, you can experience ice boating (I was sailing yesterday in Sturgeon Bay).

Bring your boat to Wisconsin, you won't regret it.

Regards,
Phil Sanders
sanderpjwi
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Wisconsin Sailing Costs

Post by sanderpjwi »

Kevin-

I forgot to post the ANNUAL cost of keeping your boat at Manitowoc Marina. They have a great deal at $2,340 for boats 30.1 to 32 feet. This includes seasonal dockage, haulout, winter outside storage and spring launch.

Regards,
Phil Sanders
Tod Mills

oops, forgot link, plus more

Post by Tod Mills »

Jim Hebert's page is http://www.continuouswave.com

And here's a closer-to-home web page, about some of the islands in northern Lake Michigan, esp Beaver Island, home to some VERY interesting history :wink: , especially w/ regards to the king of the island.

http://www.beaverisland.net/

lots of pictures of the islands under "Excursions":

Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer