Home use for marine sealant?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Home use for marine sealant?

Post by Bill Cochrane »

OK, bit off-topic. I have a stainless steel sink which mounts on a butcherblock (maple wood) countertop cutout. The sink has a lip that rests on top of the wood. I need to find a flexible, mildly adhesive caulk...the faucet shelf of the sink is subject to some flexing which can raise the lip in that area about 1/16". Plumber's Putty has failed, no adhesion or elasticity.

I'm thinking either RTV/Silicone, final tightening after 24 hours to form a gasket, polysulfide, or maybe a hybrid like lifeseal.

Recommendations?
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

An idea

Post by Jim Davis »

You might try Boat Lifes Teak Deck Caulk. It has good adhesion and stays flexible, mask the counter top and the exposed surface of the sink. I would not even think of 5200.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Carl Thunberg

Use tub & tile silicone

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm a former plumber. Plumber's putty works fine for sink drains, but should not be used to seal the flange of a stainless steel sink. Do not under any circumstances use 5200 unless you want to remove the countertop with the sink. Use regular tub & tile silicone that you can buy at your local hardware store. Make sure you remove the sink clips so the entire sink can lift off the countertop. If the flange doesn't sit flush with the countertop, then either the sink is bent and should be replaced or your butcher block is not flush and needs to sanded. The sink should not be rocking. I hope this helps.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Carl, to clarify...

Post by Bill Cochrane »

...the sink rim normally is flush with the countertop, the flexing comes from the faucet deck; the faucet spout is rather long, with a pull-out spray head at the top, and pressure on the faucet can cause a slight flexing in the deck which allows the rim to raise about 1/16".

Thanks for the note, will remove the clips as I want to get a good bead under the rim. I'm not positive what the installer used but it looks like plumber's putty, it's definitely not silicone.

Wouldn't even think of using 5200.
marvbrinn

putty

Post by marvbrinn »

I work at lowes in the plumbing dept
have seen this for yrs . do not use plumbers putty it is has no adhesion
use one of several poly caulks we sell
do not do not use 5200 it is great for permanent joints
after appying the sealant wipe with your finger and damp cloth.