CD 10 seat locker

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Villamil

CD 10 seat locker

Post by Dick Villamil »

I noticed in the CD10 brochure that the seat locker was an option. What does it look like, where is it located? I want to install one as I restore the CD 10 I recently purchased.
slaume

Seat locker

Post by slaume »

Hum, I wonder which seat and just how they did it? You could hinge the two middle boards of the rear seat fairly easily for some stowage. The mid seat seems perfect, except that the fasteners that hold it to the fiberglass form a box beam sort of thing. It seems like the top seat board gives this seat much of its strength. The other possibly more important factor is floatation. I just restored my CD-10 last winter and although the old white styrofoam was just fine for it's purpose. It was nasty and kind of sloppy. I replaced it with Dow blue board, fit as tightly as I could make it. It would seem like any stowage will rob you of floatation. Losing a bit in the stern may not be too bad. If you took it all out of the mid seat and the boat ever did go over (it is a sailing dingy) it would probably float like a dead head. I am speaking of the dead head log type that float on end with just the top above the water. The other Dead Heads probably float nice and high. I suppose you could cut that nice piece of mahogany and just hinge a middle piece of the mid seat but I would still want to do some floatation trials. Has anyone ever swamped their CD-10? Just how well do they float? I have been toying with the idea of bicycle fork mounts. I worry a bit about stability. Right now the little CD-10 is pretty amazing about staying on it's feet and dry while being towed. I would worry if it had a couple of cheap (heavy) bikes fastened in upright. I want to figure a way to attach the bike rack so the dink can still be rowed and the rack could be removed easily without unsightly damage (no holes in the mahogany). Ideas? Thanks, Steve.