Loran C, Keep or Remove?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Loran C, Keep or Remove?

Post by Mike Raehl »

My CD27 came with a 1987 Loran C unit, model DXL 6000MKII, made by Raytheon. Although it powers up and displays position, etc., I haven't learned to use it properly and so am considering permanent removal to free up space and reduce clutter. Is there any value in learning to use the unit and keeping it as a backup to GPS?

I do have two handheld marine GPS units, a Magellan 310 and a Micrologic 300. Our sailing is limited to day sailing southwest Lake Michigan near Chicago.
Mike Raehl
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Loran C, Keep or Remove?

Post by Neil Gordon »

I haven't used Loran in a long time, but as I remember, it had two major attributes... the first is that it's not accurate; the second is that the inaccuacy repeats with great accuracy. It's the repeatability that people loved... mark your favorite fishing spot (or the entrance to your marina) and you can return there easily.

I tossed my Loran unit in the ocean, but that's just me. I think you'd be fine with GPS and GPS backup. If they both fail, you can always navigate by looking around.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I purchased a 1986 CD MS 300 last June that had a circa 1986 Micrologic loran installed. Removing it was one of the first changes I made. Who knows how long the Loran system will be maintained? Is there a possibility the whole GPS system might go down? Probably very little. It uses many satellites and is not dependent on only a few. Its more likely the GPS signal for non-military uses would be degraded again for some national security purpose.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Loran Won't Die Yet

Post by Joe Myerson »

Mike:
My 1982 25D still has Loran, and the PO used it all the time. I don't use it much, because I've got a handheld Garmin that's much easier to use, but I wouldn't count the system out.

There's an earlier thread on this topic, but the bottom line is that instead of shutting Loran down, the Dept. of Homeland Security (which now contains the Coast Guard) has decided to keep it, because its signals are much more difficult to jam or sabotage than the satellite-based signals for GPS.

If your Loran system isn't taking up too much room, why not keep it? Besides, as Neil said, it's a great system for marking a spot and returning to the same spot.

As they say on this board: Just my two-cents' worth.

--Joe Myerson
rtbates

for position?

Post by rtbates »

NOT if you want to use it for position information.
Now don't all you Loran user start on me. I spent 10 years way back when installing and servicing Loran, Sat Nav and Omega navigation systems. For $99 you can purchase a GPS that will out perform any and all of the oldies.

My .02

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Thanks to all....

Post by Mike Raehl »

Thanks for the feedback. Out goes the Loran in favor of cockpit mounted GPS.

The first time I sailed my CD27 was with the PO, sort of a hand over curise. Two miles off Waukegan Harbor, IL, fog reduced visability to fifty yards. Fortunately, I had marked the harbor entrance on the GPS and we sailed right up to the light house / fog horn.
Mike Raehl
Andy Denmark

LORAN will be around until at least 2010

Post by Andy Denmark »

Quite a few of the local fishing trawlers here still use LORAN as primary nav systems. I installed many of Furuno LC-90's on boats and some of those are still in use. I had an LC-90 on Rhiannon until a lightning strike took it out.

With nuclear terrorism in our country being a very real threat, EMP could possibly take out any satellites that are line of sight to the blast and thus disable many of the GPS birds. The "poor satellite coverage" message wouldn't help anyone who doesn't have an alternative system to rely upon.

Of course, those who still know how to use paper charts and celestial will have manual backup but their numbers are rapidly decreasing if the people I deliver boats for are any indication.

One of my YC members is an active duty USCG Master Chief and he mentioned at our annual "marine electronics" program last week that LORAN will definitely be around until at least 2010 as backup to GPS for the reason mentioned above.
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
slaume

Nuclear blast

Post by slaume »

It would be a great comfort to know that if you survived nuclear terrorist attack you could still find your way with your loran set. That is if those transmitters were not also effected. Its nice to know we have the bases covered, Steve.
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

There's an article in the BoatUS magazine on the Loran upgrade ($100M). The new system has higher wattage signals plus more accurate timing. Apparently eLoran units are being manufactured.

As I remember, there have been two events that took out GPS. One was an exercise for several hours that affected the west coast. The other was the infamous roll-over of the week counter about 4 years ago. If you weren't aware of it (and many sailors weren't) you wouldn't have known what to do to your unit to handle the reset counter. I had friends in the Bay of Biscay at that time who had two useless GPS's because they had not heard of the rollover and what to do. Out came the sextant and reduction tables.
Dick Villamil

Loran

Post by Dick Villamil »

I also have a loran that I have never used since converting to GPS. I will try to use it however just as a backup. However there is an internal battery that needs to be replaced before you can effectively use it. I tried for weeks to get it to work until I read the manual (natch - typical - RTD). The instructions said that the internal battery needs to be replaced periodically in order to remember any Lat/Long settings.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Keep it...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Have you seen the latest issue of BoatU.S. Magazine (Vol. X, Nov. 2005)? Read the article on page 13 titled "Loran Gets a $100-Million Upgrade".

When the GPS signals are being jammed by the U.S. government, you'll still be able to rely on your Loran, charts, piloting skills, etc.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
arenius

I put it back on

Post by arenius »

I am guilty of putting my Sitex 787C back onto the boat. Works great.....nice additional information to the GPS with different technology base. Just needed to change the battery for the memory...besides I still need to recover the monies spent on this one at that time $$$$$.
Dana
Dean Abramson

I would keep it

Post by Dean Abramson »

I use my Loran all of the time; it complements the GPS. I like having two totally independent technologies. If somehow GPS fails, I have Loran. My Loran is easier to see from a distance than my GPS, and when I think of all the time I have fumbled the handheld GPS, I appreciate the fixed Loran. And if I find myself without AA batteries on the boat, the GPS keeps me going off of the boat batteries, which can be charged by the motor if necessary.

My Loran and radar are on a bracket which swings out for use from the cockpit, but maybe yours is too big for that. I would suggest finding a way to keep it. Heck, it's free.

("Sort of," you say.)
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine