CD 10 drain plugs and flotation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Villamil

CD 10 drain plugs and flotation

Post by Dick Villamil »

What does the drain plug look like for the CD 10 - there is a broken chain in the cockpit of the one I just bought however there is a 1" (approx) hole through the bottom of the hull but the plug is mssing. Also - each flotation compartment has drain holes but no plugs - is this a standard item that I can find in hardware stores?

What is the best way to remove/replace the foam flotation?
slaume

drains

Post by slaume »

Congratulations on finding a CD-10. The drain plug in the bottom is a standard rubber expansion type plug that you can find just about anywhere. Get two while you are at it and keep them both secured in the boat. Also keep the centerboard tied fast just in case. The center board is a beautiful, heavy, piece of work and it can go quickly to the bottom if you should overturn the boat. The holes in the bottom of the floatation areas on my very early CD-10 are simply drain holes and should be keep open. On a later CD-14 I know they went to sealed floatation tanks. Those will use the one inch plugs and there is no foam so you need to keep the plugs in. I your boat has the foam floatation, you can get to it by simply removing the seat boards. This is a good way to maintain them anyway. It is also a good idea to take out the foam and clean out any debris that might clog the drain holes. You have a fine little craft, that is a joy to sail or row, Steve.
polandoj@msn.com

cd10 rudder question

Post by polandoj@msn.com »

I read your message that you posted and from one cd10 owner to another I need to ask a favor.
I have purchased a cd 10 with no rudder or tiller thinking I could replace it easily. Fat chance!!! I have rebuilt the interior of the boat, and am handy enough to make a rudder and tiller handle
I just need you to trace the rudder to scale and the tiller handle. on
a big piece of paper.
My two little girls and my wife would be very grateful if you could help, they are dying to go sailing]
bill2

cb and rudder

Post by bill2 »

If you're near phila pa I have a cd 10 and you're welcome to look over both the cb and rudder.

What's your location ?
bill2

flotation

Post by bill2 »

Dick

On my cd 10 the po's po removed the flotation and installed 1" sheets of styrofoam trimmed to size. I've had it apart for cleaning and it's passing the test of time - IMHO an elegant, inexpensive solution.