Cape Dory 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cape Dory 22

Post by Guest »

I am considering the purchase of a 1981 CD 22. It is not a Typhoon and not the CD 22D. It has a O/B motor attached off the stern with an external bracket.

I am reasonably new to sailing, this will be my first sailboat, and I have a few questions in this email.

First, upon inspection, and from what I have learned about CD 22s, the reefing system on the CD 22 is "roller reefing"- where you pull the boom out from the gooseneck and roll it clockwise or counterclockwise. I have done this a few times on Ensign 22s. It was always a two man (person) job.

I will be solo sailing the CD 22. Is roller reefing a two man job on the CD 22 or can it be done solo? If solo, can someone provide a brief walk-through of the solo procedure? How readily could this be converted to a "jiffy reefing" system? Is it worth it?

Second, there is a Lemar winch attached on the mast at about waist or chest level on the starboard side pointing out horizontally. The owner says this is for the main halyard. Was a main halyard winch on the mast original equipment or was this an after-manufacture add-on?

For solo sailing, it seems an uncomfortable place to have a main halyard winch. You have to leave the cockpit and tiller in order to raise or lower the main, leaving no one at the helm. What experiences do readers have with this?

I appreciate any information provided.

Thank you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Cape Dory 22

Post by Neil Gordon »

Guest wrote:You have to leave the cockpit and tiller in order to raise or lower the main, leaving no one at the helm.
I do it all the time. No autopilot... I just get things set up before I leave the slip and when I'm out and out of the traffic I just head into the wind, cut the motor, walk forward while momentum carries the boat and raise the main. Down is as easy... let go the tiller and the boat heads up. I walk up as the boat turns and drop the main when it luffs. The boat lies quietly while I tidy up the sail. I've never had an emergency where I had to instantly drop the main.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jack Carr

Cape Dory 22

Post by Jack Carr »

I believe that model had a winch on the port side of the mast for the jib. The standard on the starboard side of the mast was just a cleat for tying off the halyard so I assume the winch you speak of was added later. You should have no trouble raising the main after you point into the wind with the sheet pulled tight. Dropping the main is even easier but on bumpy seas remember one hand for the boat and one for yourself.

The rolling reef is a two person job when away from your mooring, however, I have done it solo on choppy water by carefully controlling the halyard by tying it off as you lower the sail then take a roll in stages while keeping in mind my suggestion above.
Jack

Post by Guest »

Hello Jack:

Thank you very much for the information. I looked at my photos again and the winch on the mast is on the left (I had looked at the photo upside down!!). I could have stared in the move "Dumb and Dumber".

The present jib is a hank on. If I purchase, I will probably convert to a furling jib system (I have seen several CDI furlers that look good) which should eliminate having to go forward to use the mast winch to raise and lower the jib.

Your suggestion for singledhanded roller reefing the main is much appreciated. Lower the main halyard a few inches, tie it off, roll the boom, lower the main halyard a few more inches, tie it off again, roll the boom, etc.

Robert
Jack Carr wrote:I believe that model had a winch on the port side of the mast for the jib. The standard on the starboard side of the mast was just a cleat for tying off the halyard so I assume the winch you speak of was added later. You should have no trouble raising the main after you point into the wind with the sheet pulled tight. Dropping the main is even easier but on bumpy seas remember one hand for the boat and one for yourself.

The rolling reef is a two person job when away from your mooring, however, I have done it solo on choppy water by carefully controlling the halyard by tying it off as you lower the sail then take a roll in stages while keeping in mind my suggestion above.
slaume

reefing

Post by slaume »

It would be very easy to convert to slab or jiffy reefing if you took your main to a sailmaker this winter and had him or her add reef points. I would also be a good time to have the sails looked over for that stitch in time or the addition of a few tell tales. All you would need on the boat would be a topping lift and a little bit of hardware on the boom for single or double line reefing. It is just a couple of small pad eyes a cheek block and a couple of cleats. Normal raising and lowering of sails doesn't seem to be much of a problem going to the mast. I am not so sure I would want to be dancing all over the boat to try to roll up the sail when there was already too much wind to deal with. Have fun with your new boat, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi....

there are many people in here that have the cd22's, i have one in my back yard and its been all over...

i did use the boom reefing for a long time, but i did not like it, it was to hard to use.

jiffy reefing is the way to go, besides it makes it much easyer to use or you can make it up your self, i did.
all you need is 2 reefing hooks and the line.
that is as long as you have the reefing eyes in the sail.

i all was changes all the lines and have them cut 10 to 15 feet longer so i don't have to leave my seat, thats how you do solo sailing. the easy way.

all my boats are like that.
make it easy on you and have all your lines cut longer and run them back to you.

hope all of us can help you and have fun with it.
winthrop

Guest wrote:I am considering the purchase of a 1981 CD 22. It is not a Typhoon and not the CD 22D. It has a O/B motor attached off the stern with an external bracket.

I am reasonably new to sailing, this will be my first sailboat, and I have a few questions in this email.

First, upon inspection, and from what I have learned about CD 22s, the reefing system on the CD 22 is "roller reefing"- where you pull the boom out from the gooseneck and roll it clockwise or counterclockwise. I have done this a few times on Ensign 22s. It was always a two man (person) job.

I will be solo sailing the CD 22. Is roller reefing a two man job on the CD 22 or can it be done solo? If solo, can someone provide a brief walk-through of the solo procedure? How readily could this be converted to a "jiffy reefing" system? Is it worth it?

Second, there is a Lemar winch attached on the mast at about waist or chest level on the starboard side pointing out horizontally. The owner says this is for the main halyard. Was a main halyard winch on the mast original equipment or was this an after-manufacture add-on?

For solo sailing, it seems an uncomfortable place to have a main halyard winch. You have to leave the cockpit and tiller in order to raise or lower the main, leaving no one at the helm. What experiences do readers have with this?

I appreciate any information provided.

Thank you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

[quote="winthrop fisher"]... so i don't have to leave my seat, thats how you do solo sailing. the easy way.[quote]

Winthrop,

Thanks for presenting a different point of view and that setting up your boat is a matter of personal choice. Also important is that, as you say, the changes aren't hard to make. So if you're looking at a boat that doesn't have jiffy reefing or doesn't have lines led back to the cockpit, it's not a reason to pass on an otherwise good boat.

My advice: If a boat is otherwise sound and fits your budget and sailing style, wishes, needs, etc., go ahead and buy it at the best price you can get it for. Then ask here for all the help you need "personalizing" the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Hi Neil...
i went to your site and i am very imprest with your company, you have done very well for your self... winthrop
Neil Gordon wrote:
winthrop fisher wrote:... so i don't have to leave my seat, thats how you do solo sailing. the easy way.

Winthrop,

Thanks for presenting a different point of view and that setting up your boat is a matter of personal choice. Also important is that, as you say, the changes aren't hard to make. So if you're looking at a boat that doesn't have jiffy reefing or doesn't have lines led back to the cockpit, it's not a reason to pass on an otherwise good boat.

My advice: If a boat is otherwise sound and fits your budget and sailing style, wishes, needs, etc., go ahead and buy it at the best price you can get it for. Then ask here for all the help you need "personalizing" the boat.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

winthrop fisher wrote:Hi Neil...
i went to your site and i am very imprest with your company, you have done very well for your self... winthrop
Best part of my company is that it pretty much runs by cell phone and laptop computer. The marina is "hot" for wireless internet, too. Nothing wrong either with tiller in one hand, cell phone in the other.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Hey Neil...

it must be nice siting at home on the water just dialing up to work, no traffic and no person to tell you your late...
enjoy your self.
winthrop

Neil Gordon wrote:
winthrop fisher wrote:Hi Neil...
Best part of my company is that it pretty much runs by cell phone and laptop computer. The marina is "hot" for wireless internet, too. Nothing wrong either with tiller in one hand, cell phone in the other.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

winthrop fisher wrote:Hey Neil...

it must be nice siting at home on the water just dialing up to work, no traffic and no person to tell you your late...
enjoy your self.
winthrop
There was a consultant I knew more than a few years ago... in the early stage of cell phones, I guess. But it was before telecommuting and working from home was common.

Anyway, my friend had an office in Boston and a summer place in Maine, on the coast. More weekends than not, he couldn't get to his summer place, so he finally decided he'd just close the Boston office and move to Maine. One of his clients told him, in bold words, that he was out of his mind, that it would never work, and that he absolutely needed an office in Boston.

Naturally, he moved anyway. About six months later, the client had a huge crisis... called my friend... got the answering machine... "Hi, I'm not here, leave a message..." (YIKES) ..."but if you really need me, call my cell phone ### ### ####."

So the client calls... all calms down... and the client says to my friend... "Look... for all I said about how it would never work, I appologize... I call you up, you call back, we talk... I never saw you anyway... so I'm sorry."

Just then, as my friend tells the story, a big seagull lands on his bow...
Auuckkkkk!!!! Auuuckkkkk!!! So the client says, "Hey, are you on your boat???!!!" And the client says, "That's it, now I'm pissed!" "Angry that I'm on my boat?" says my friend. "No, pissed because I'm in this stupid office in Boston," says the client.

So here's my friend... sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon... up and down the Maine coast... tiller in one hand, cell phone in the other... making $150 an hour. So what's wrong with that picture?? I decided that he's who I wanted to be when I grew up. <g>
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

good point
Neil Gordon wrote:
winthrop fisher wrote:Hey Neil...

enjoy your self.
winthrop
There was a consultant I knew more than a few years ago... in the early stage of cell phones, I guess. But it was before telecommuting and working from home was common.

Anyway, my friend had an office in Boston and a summer place in Maine, on the coast. More weekends than not, he couldn't get to his summer place, so he finally decided he'd just close the Boston office and move to Maine. One of his clients told him, in bold words, that he was out of his mind, that it would never work, and that he absolutely needed an office in Boston.

Naturally, he moved anyway. About six months later, the client had a huge crisis... called my friend... got the answering machine... "Hi, I'm not here, leave a message..." (YIKES) ..."but if you really need me, call my cell phone ### ### ####."

So the client calls... all calms down... and the client says to my friend... "Look... for all I said about how it would never work, I appologize... I call you up, you call back, we talk... I never saw you anyway... so I'm sorry."

Just then, as my friend tells the story, a big seagull lands on his bow...
Auuckkkkk!!!! Auuuckkkkk!!! So the client says, "Hey, are you on your boat???!!!" And the client says, "That's it, now I'm pissed!" "Angry that I'm on my boat?" says my friend. "No, pissed because I'm in this stupid office in Boston," says the client.

So here's my friend... sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon... up and down the Maine coast... tiller in one hand, cell phone in the other... making $150 an hour. So what's wrong with that picture?? I decided that he's who I wanted to be when I grew up. <g>