Dodger Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Dodger Questions

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hi all!

Few questions about dodgers. The stitching has pulled out of our dodger in a bunch of places (which we resewed by hand on the boat) but it seems like it's time to get a new one. Or at least for it to be all resewed but I think the Sunbrella is pretty thin too...

We aren't sure how old it is, but what's the life expectancy of a dodger? (in the weather 6 months/year)

We got a quote for one from the original makers of it. About $2500 by the time you get done (upgraded thread and w/removeable sides (the current one has them), adding side grab rails, and better glass).

Is this price out of line?

However the parts are < $500 on sailrite (about $250 if you use cheaper glass and thread). I have a lot of the parts however so it would cost me about $250 maybe. So - am I crazy thinking maybe I could make this myself? I have a Sailrite Ultrafeed sewing machine and have made all the cockpit cushions for Mahalo's T-cockpit. I recently added a window with a removeable cover to our bimini, so I've worked with the Strataglass before. Anyone else made their own dodger?

Melissa
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Melissa,

I made a bunch of new fabric stuff for our 33 but went with Island Nautical (find them online they have a stock pattern for a 36 I bet)for the dodger. It was just over a grand with a hand rail that I use everytime I am aboard. I am quite happy with the result and it has weathered well after three seasons albeit northern.

I considered the sailrite option and you may choose that with your tools and experience. If you have the time i say go for it because then you can make it exactly how you want. I would not skimp on any material though. It will last much longer with good stuff and you can always practice on pattern fabric before cutting up the golden cloth!

Hope this helps,
Paul
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Go For It

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Melissa,

Try it. What do you have to lose? You are right at the boat to try the fit. The more you use that stuff, the better you will get at it.

I can see a cottage industry flourishing that will help your fellow sailors. What the hey, give it a go. You can do it.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Ron M.

Big buck dodger

Post by Ron M. »

You can certainly do it.You have a very good sewing machine and the old dodger for a pattern.There are a few good books on the subject;
Don Casey's Canvasswork for one.Also Sailrite has a video that pretty much walks you through it.I may be attempting the same over the winter,good luck.
________
Vaporizers
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Dodger Questions

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
i have had them on ever boat i have had, i think the larger ones should last for seven to ten years or more, but that depends on allot of things, do you ever take it down or not.
all the boats i had it on it lasted different amount of time in years, but never months.
i would have them made, it may cost you more, but they will last a long time.
the morgan i had that top lasted around six or seven years,
but the 27 top lasted around ten years.
typhoon top i still have is around 13 years.
its up to you and the cost is higher, but get it made in the winter it will cost you 10 to15 % off a new one.
winthrop

mahalocd36 wrote:Hi all!

Few questions about dodgers. The stitching has pulled out of our dodger in a bunch of places (which we resewed by hand on the boat) but it seems like it's time to get a new one. Or at least for it to be all resewed but I think the Sunbrella is pretty thin too...

We aren't sure how old it is, but what's the life expectancy of a dodger? (in the weather 6 months/year)

We got a quote for one from the original makers of it. About $2500 by the time you get done (upgraded thread and w/removeable sides (the current one has them), adding side grab rails, and better glass).

Is this price out of line?

However the parts are < $500 on sailrite (about $250 if you use cheaper glass and thread). I have a lot of the parts however so it would cost me about $250 maybe. So - am I crazy thinking maybe I could make this myself? I have a Sailrite Ultrafeed sewing machine and have made all the cockpit cushions for Mahalo's T-cockpit. I recently added a window with a removeable cover to our bimini, so I've worked with the Strataglass before. Anyone else made their own dodger?

Melissa
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

2500 is probably in line. Hallett Sail and Canvas here in Falmouth Maine would charge about that—if not a bit more— for a custom dodger with high-grade strataglass, grab-rail with leather, etc.

As for making your own, ask yourself how good of a sewer you are and what your expectations for final finish are. Unless you are a really good sewer (and more importantly pattern-maker) you are probably not going to get a dodger that is drum-tight in all areas. But you can probably get something decent—especially when you consider the cost differential.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
Mike Rodriguez

CD30C "Sunshine" #233
Roosevelt Roads NAS Puerto Rico

dodger

Post by Mike Rodriguez »

Hi,
2500 sounds like a lot of money for a dodger. Do it yourself if you think you can. Think of the sense of accomplishment you,ll have while sitting in the cockpit admiring your work. Plus the money saved.

Best wishes
mahalocd36

Anyone with side grabrails?

Post by mahalocd36 »

winthrop fisher wrote:Hi...
i have had them on ever boat i have had, i think the larger ones should last for seven to ten years or more, but that depends on allot of things, do you ever take it down or not.
all the boats i had it on it lasted different amount of time in years, but never months.
Sorry winthrop, didn't mean to confuse you - it's in the weather 6 months per year, not just for 6 months total.

I actually found out from the PO's log that it was bought for the 1999 season, so it's seen 7 years. The biggest problem with it is the thread has deteriorated. We hand-resewed it to get it through the rest of this year (using the same holes), but to restitch it all by machine would put too many holes in the window material I think. Also the window material is a little bit cloudy and the sunbrella looks kind of tired.

I think we are going to go for making the replacement ourselves. Like OJ said - what do we have to lose? (besides lots of time and some materials) It won't be perfect but hey - neither is the one that is on there made by "professionals". Making the cockpit cushions was sure a pain (all that piping and curves!) but you are right Mike, there was a sense of accomplishment when they were all done. And being right at the boat to fit them they fit perfectly. (Mahalo spends the winter in our backyard).

The only question left is adding grabrails to the existing frame.
Can someone with grabrails take a picture so I can see how the canvas is sewn around it? We have a custom SS shop in town so we could get them added to the existing frame.

Also, does anyone have handholds cut out in the aft section of the dodger (i.e. C-shaped sections on each side) so you can use the aft rail to grab onto? (Ok, now I'm getting really ambitious)....
Picture of that would be appreciated as well. I know I've seen it on boats but never looked at it with an eye to making it.

And yes, I've got all the books on canvas work that Sailrite sells! LOL.

Melissa
David van den Burgh

CD36 Dodger

Post by David van den Burgh »

Melissa,

My dad and I have been talking (and dreaming) about adding a dodger to Ariel. Like you, we're looking for some good ideas and design features. I don't suppose you (or anyone else, for that matter) have some pictures of your dodger that show its construction and design? If so, I'd love to see them.

Thanks in advance,

David
Brian D

Dodger rebuild

Post by Brian D »

We replaced all the "glass" last year in our dodger and then restitched some of the other areas that were tired.

I would guess our dodger to be circa 1990 and it's certianly getting to the end of it's life. But...

I suspect we will get at least 1 if not two more seasons out of it (making it 3-4 since the rebuild).

Our cost was well south of $100-think maybe something like $50 ish for the glass and took about 20-25 hours.

We made the new glass slightly bigger so that we didn't go through the same holes.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

Brian
S/V Mahalo
CD 28 #326
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

$2500 seems steep to me...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Melissa,

We replaced our dodger when it was around 14 years old. Like you, I had been restitching it myself until it looked like restitching just wouldn't cut it any more. We ordered a new one from Island Nautical (while at a boatshow) in 2000. The original dodger was also an Island Nautical. The new one only cost $750 (again, that was in 2000) for the new dodger only. We just used the old frame. Since there were already snaps and turn buttons on the boat for the old dodger and I wanted to reuse them, Island Nautical didn't install any of the snap or turn button hardware on the new dodger. They sent all the parts and the tools for us to install them ourselves. It wasn't difficult.

I have a feeling that the quote of $2500 includes a new frame. You may want to confirm that with the company that supplied the quote and find out whether they can use the old frame and add the new grab bars to it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
rtbates

thread for professional or do it yourself

Post by rtbates »

Either way make 100% certain that UV protected thread is used. I can't imagine a canvas maker NOT using it these days but you never know. Sailrite sells the stuff. White only I believe.

randy 25D Seraph #161
Robert Shulman

dodger

Post by Robert Shulman »

Melissa,

We have a new dodger on our CD 27 that we made from materials supplied by Sailrite. We're very pleased with it. Although somewhat challenging, it was not extremely difficult to construct. If you decide to construct your own, we have a large piece of high quality Stratoglass remaining (we had to buy much more than we need). It may be enough for a complete dodger. Let us know if you are interested.

Bob Shulman
CD 27 "Impromptu"
Noank, CT
mahalocd36

Re: dodger

Post by mahalocd36 »

Robert Shulman wrote:Melissa,

We have a new dodger on our CD 27 that we made from materials supplied by Sailrite. We're very pleased with it. Although somewhat challenging, it was not extremely difficult to construct. If you decide to construct your own, we have a large piece of high quality Stratoglass remaining (we had to buy much more than we need). It may be enough for a complete dodger. Let us know if you are interested.
Great to hear! Yes, we are interested!! contact me at mla@charter.net please
Cathy Monaghan wrote: I have a feeling that the quote of $2500 includes a new frame.
Looking at it again, yes it does. This is after we made quite clear to them we wanted to use the old frame, a few times. We'll ask them to requote it and see.....
Randy Bates wrote: Either way make 100% certain that UV protected thread is used. I can't imagine a canvas maker NOT using it these days but you never know. Sailrite sells the stuff. White only I believe.
The latest thing is Gortex thread which is guaranteed forever (literally). However I guess what irritated Rich and I is this company charges $100 for using it. Now a HUGE roll of it can be bought for < $60. (enough to do many dodgers) (as opposed to about $20 for regular UV thread).
It does not take any more labor to use good thread than cheaper thread. So why charge the customer $100 when the price differential is < $40. So I guess that's when we got turned off..... The other stuff, I understand, it's a lot of labor to build one, especially custom......oh well, it's everyone's right to make a living :-) I guess I should get more use from this sewing machine.....

Look for posts from me come January asking why the heck did I ever think I could make a dodger? LOL

Sunbrella source

Post by Guest »

FWIW: I have found prices at http://www.rochfordsupply.com to be very competitve, and the staff helpful. Of course it is nice that Rochford is only 6-8 miles from home, so I can browse through the warehouse.