RADAR POLE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

RADAR POLE

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Larry or anyone else,

We have installed a pole for the RADAR scanner and clamped it to the pushpit. It has a very solid base bolted through the deck which is very thick at the stern quarter. However, I doubt that it would survive even moderate to heavy condiditons, so I am contemplating additional bracing forward and athwartships.

I wonder if I might get away with braces to the rail or if I am going to have to go all the way down to the rail. Your comments will be most appreciated.

BTW, the RADAR works! Time to go sailing.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Russell

Post by Russell »

I installed a wind generator pole a few weeks back, and in doing some research on how to mount it I found attaching it to the push pit was considered bad as it did not get enough support, the commonly accepted method for wind generator poles is two struts coming out at as close to a 90 degree angle from each other as possible and at least 2' away from the base of the pole, to give good triangulation. So this is the route I went. Not sure if it applies to radar poles as well, as they probably are under less stress, but a radome is still a heavy object on the end of a long pole on a pitching boat, I think you do need more support then the pushpit provides.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bill Michne

Mintaka's Radar Pole

Post by Bill Michne »

Ken:

Our radome is mounted at the top of a pole originally part of a Windbugger system. The pole is through bolted at the base, and attached to the pushpit rail using a U-bolt that goes around the rail and through the pole. It is further supported by a single strut attached to the same U-bolt and going forward to the deck. I'll be the first to say it doesn't look as strong as two struts at the four foot level. Neverthless, we have been in some really choppy seas over the years, and have never had any problem with the installation. Based on my experience your installation should be fine. Of course, more struts higher up cant' hurt, but I haven't even considered putting that on my project list, even though I have two such struts in the attic.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40

Radar pole

Post by Guest »

Ken,

I put a 9' Scan Strut pole on LaVida.

Its sturdy, easy to mount, but expensive and the company sends braces that just are not made for the rigors of sailing.

A quick phone call and request for the right size though made the project come out very nice.

Good luck,
mike
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Time to Respond

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Bill - Want to sell your struts? Pls email off board.

Mike - What size did you deem to be "right."

Larry - Stop sailing long enough to answer! I suppose you are having too much fun.

I am using an Edson pole and while it looks and feels plenty strong, I don't think the rail attachment is going to be good for the rail. It is pretty easy to get the rail to "work" and that can only lead to leaks and damage. Thought I could get away with a less expensive installation, but, once again, that isn't the case. I suppose I will also succumb to mounting the GPS antenna on an arm rather than at the rail....

Thanks everyone,

Ken
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC