Looking at my first Typhoon and have questions!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

harryhood

Looking at my first Typhoon and have questions!

Post by harryhood »

Hi all!

I've been lurking here for a bit to see what I can learn before I look
at a Typhoon for sale this weekend. It is a 1975 Weekender on a
trailer. I'm guessing the boat and trailer weight around #3000, it's
a very beefy trailer. Think a 4x4 V6 Toyota p/u can handle that for short hauls ok?
What are the weak points I need to check with the boat?
I've read some things here about mast compression problems, what would be some signs I can look for in a boat that doesn't have the mast up and is not in the water?

I'm on Lake Champlain in Vermont. Any other Typhoons up here?

Thanks!!

Brian
tscsc22

Post by tscsc22 »

I think that you are in the neighborhood on the weight. I have pulled a weekender with a much smaller truck w/o a problem.

Look for stress marks or glass failure at the mast step.

We just finish first in a handicap race with a weekender in a blow against a variety of competition.

I think you will enjoy the Typhoon. It is very stiff yet very manuverable. Fantanstic tiller response in all weather conditions.

We are ourselves looking for new or used sails for our Typhoon Weekender. Please reply if you hear or any sources.
Dick Villamil

My First Typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

:D Where on Lake Champlain are you? I am at Malletts Bay Boat Club and recently rebuilt and launched my 1975 Typhoon! email me at aquarius@surfglobal.net for more info.
Allan

Trailering a Typhoon

Post by Allan »

I recently hauled my Typhoon from Mystic Conn to the Newburyport area (appx 150 mi) with my Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 with no problem. The trailer is a homemade 2-wheel flatbead with the original CD Typhoon cradle mounted on it.
harryhood

Re: Trailering a Typhoon

Post by harryhood »

Allan wrote:I recently hauled my Typhoon from Mystic Conn to the Newburyport area (appx 150 mi) with my Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 with no problem. The trailer is a homemade 2-wheel flatbead with the original CD Typhoon cradle mounted on it.
Hi Allan,

Does the trailer have brakes? I was told that Newburyport is a nice
area just last week! I hope to visit there soon.

Thanks for the replies! I'm taking a closer look this weekend and it
seems that Dick knows this boat so I'm looking forward to giving
her a closer look.
Allan

Trailering a Typhoon

Post by Allan »

No. No brakes, no problem stopping. Of course I always allow space between me and the car in front of me unlike most drivers today who ride your rear bumper. I believe when I was learning to drive "in the olden days" as my son would say, you were supposed to allow one car length for every ten miles per hour you were driving.
Tim Mertinooke

Newburyport Ty

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Newburyport is a great place to sail. I keep my Ty there on a mooring. It sounds like there will be a few Ty's there in the coming months. I have spoken to three people that are looking or are in the process of buying one for that area. They grace the river. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Christian Sava

typhoons on the Merrimac.

Post by Christian Sava »

Hello again Tim,
Iamb getting closer to pulling the trigger everyday to buy a TY. I just looked at one for sale in Newburyport. My wife can't quite understand while Iamb still entertaining thoughts of a boat when we are to have our second child in less than two weeks. Oh well. Hopefully someday we can arrange a TY rendezvous in Newburyport.

Happy sailing!

Christian
Newburyport

[/b][/quote]
harryhood

Rudder

Post by harryhood »

I still haven't had a chance to really look at this boat yet but will on Tuesday. When I was there Saturday I noticed the paint had flaked off the rudder and it is made out of metal!? I thought that rudders needed to have neutral buoyancy?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Rudder

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Harry,

I don't know about that. In my opinion, the rudder doesn't HAVE to be of neutral buoyancy. There are many sailboats, power boats too, that have metal rudder blades.

Since you are looking at a Ty, I think that I'm correct in stating that Tys weren't made with metal rudder blades. The earlier ones were constructed with wood blades, A few years later, Cape Dory switched over to fibre glass blades.

You've got me wondering what metal is being used on the rudder that you're looking at. My uneducated guess is that it is 1/4" or 5/16" mild steel. As you are probably aware of, it's a good practice to employ as few different types of metals as possible under the water surface in order to prevent electrolytic deterioration. I feel that this is more imperative in salt water than in fresh water.

If I were you, I would try to determine what metal the blade is made of, what metal is used for the shoe at the bottom of the rudder post and what metal is the rudder shaft made of. Also, give an extra hard look at the method that joins the rudder blade to the post.

I'm not panning the use of a metal rudder blade. If it is well constructed, it shouldn't be a deterrent to your purchase of an otherwise sound Ty. You could use the metal rudder as a haggling point in determining the bottom line purchase price.

I will hazard a guess that, as was quite common with earlier models of the Ty, the previous or present owner had a separation problem with the rudder and sought an easy (read $$$) fix. Hence, the metal blade.

Good luck in your search.
O J
harryhood

Post by harryhood »

Hi OJ,

It looks like the rudder was welded to the shaft. Also it appeared to be "faired" somewhat, the leading edge is thicker than the trailing edge. I'm going tomorrow PM to give the whole boat a closer look.Dick V. told me that when he looked at the boat the rudder was split, so I'm assuming that a repair was done since. I did see a post here that someone is building rudders for a cool $800.

hh
Resodad

Re: Trailering a Typhoon

Post by Resodad »

Allan wrote:I recently hauled my Typhoon from Mystic Conn to the Newburyport area (appx 150 mi) with my Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 with no problem. The trailer is a homemade 2-wheel flatbead with the original CD Typhoon cradle mounted on it.
Hi Allan,
Would you like to share your thoughts on trailering with cradle-on-flatbed? How did you secure boat to trailer, straps? I would think it's impossible to ramp-launch that way. Is the cradle wood or steel? Do you feel that the cradle is robust enough to handle the bumps and other forces from the road?
Allan

Trailering a Typhoon

Post by Allan »

The cradle is bolted to the trailer. I used two twenty foot 2 inch straps. One across the bow throught the stem head fitting and secured to either side of the front of the trailer. The second strap across the stern and through the stern cleat and secured to the rear of the trailer. On either side I tied lines around the winches and down to the trailer sides. In short the boat, cradle and trailer were one. No problems at all trailering. Allan.
Allan

Launching Typhoon

Post by Allan »

I forgot to answer the second part of the question. I had the boat floated off the trailer. The other option would be to have it lifted off by crane. Allan.