If in path of Hurricane?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

If in path of Hurricane?

Post by Bill »

Here in Maine I have the choice of being on a slip, anchoring in a variety of ways, or on my mooring (500 lb mushroom). Maine has not had a severe hurricane in the 3 decades we have lived here.
Our nor'easters are the baddies.
I have pondered the choices and would opt for the mooring, perhaps with a second anchor deployed.
Would like to hear from those with experience in a big blow.
Bill on Chebeague Island, ME
ray b

Post by ray b »

multi lines AND anchors
you canNOT have too many just not enuff

I would run at least three lines to your main mooring
inc one to the bottom actual mushroom in case the chain parts

and then use other anchors TOOOO

risk aint so much breaking but chafe so chafing gear is a KEY
as is useing the biggest lines you can 3/4 to 1" is way better then
smaller lines for chafe

I had two boats survive ANDREW in miami at anchor
out of 6 lines on the larger boat two held

if in a mooring area use others moorings if abandoned

leave slack so only one line bears strain at a time

remember winds will clock as storm passes
depending on expected track
plot direction of wind and plan to use that knowlage
IE many went inside islands toward shore
BUT wind blew the boats UP ON THE ISLANDS
while others [my] boats were outside in open bay
and remained in place in more open BUT protected position
as they remained in the lee of the islands

strip boat of everything both to cut windage and weight
lower mast if you can

open water maybe safer then channels/rivers/canals
with HIGH flow and debrie as flood water goes out after the storm

AND if you can move out of the eyewall zone DO IT
even a few miles HELPS
as the center eyewall is where the worse dammage WILL HAPPEN
both from wind and flood
rtbates

EXACTLY why I own a 25D

Post by rtbates »

I put Seraph on her trailer and travel 200 or so miles inland. I grew up in Key West and Corpus Christi, TX watching hurricanes destroy marinas and the boats and sure don't want to see Seraph at natures mercy. Best of luck with what ever hurricane plan you choose. Quite often it's a crap shoot as to who survives and who doesn't. Be very aware of your fellow boater's who's philosphy is, "That's why I carry full coverage insurance", as they drag down on you.

randy 25D Seraph #161
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Look in the archives

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I believe we had an extensive discussion on just this subject last year. Perhaps the term "hurricane" or "slip or mooring" put into the search function will find it.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
jambalaya

Hurricane mooring

Post by jambalaya »

Ray is right. Chafe is biggest enemy of boat at anchor. Use twice as much chage guard as you ever thought you would need, and then double it.
It goes without saying that you also need the right anchor and enough scope.
Don't even consider using a Danforth in a hurricane. They will hold until the wind changes. Then they pop out and won't reset. Use a plow type, e.g Bruce, and make it as big as you can handle. I used a Bruce 33 on my CD30 and it held nicely through Hurrican Frances last year.
Good luck.
Will
Jambalaya :roll:
Will Parker
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: If in path of Hurricane?

Post by Neil Gordon »

You can only figure out after the storm whether the slip, mooring or anchor would be better.

Mooring - There's always the risk of failure due to chafe or corrosion. The other big risk is that in a crowded mooring field, someone else's chafe is your problem when their boat is to windward of you.

Anchor - Great if you can find a hurricane hole. Otherwise, I'd probably opt for the mooring.

Slip - The slip *might* be more protected overall than either a mooring or anchorage. If you can hold the boat off the dock (or if you get lucky and the wind does that for you), you can double up with heavy duty dock lines and not rely on any one combination of cleats on either the boat or the dock. Unlike a mooring or anchorage, you can't keep the bow into the wind. Depending on the storm surge, there's a risk that the whole marina will float off the pilings, which is not a good thing.

From what direction will a hurricane hit you? Not the wind, but the storm surge. I'm in Boston harbor, which is fairly well protected. The south coast of Massachusetts, on the other hand, gets creamed as the storm tracks north.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John R

Post by John R »

Haul the boat early, strip it and shore it up stoutly as far from other boats as possible. Otherwise, do your best to prepare and remember it is a crap shoot. Review all the recommendations in the archives on this topic.
tony Batchelor

bolt holes in a typhoon

Post by tony Batchelor »

While in Port Douglas in northern Queensland Australia,
a bit of blow came through. within minutes of the storm warning being issued, all the locals were down to the marina and heading off with their boats large and small yachts and lunches. Where is everyone going I asked, to the mangroves!

They all had their favorite bolt hole where they could tie up to the plants that all ways seem to survive.