CD 26 engine constantly in water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

george tepper

CD 26 engine constantly in water

Post by george tepper »

With the outboard engine constantly in the water the problem of protecting the engine is ever present. Is there any solution to this problem?
Dick Emrich

Post by Dick Emrich »

There's canned spray paint specially made for outboard lower units. I've used it for 2 years and it works better, if anything, than ordinary bottom paint. Not very expensive (around $9), easy to apply, and one can should last you two or three years. You can get it at a marine supply store. Comes in several colors, including white and tan.
Bruce Dart
Location: Former owner of CD25 Wings O' Morning. Looking for a CD30

There's no answer

Post by Bruce Dart »

I'm going to try that spray paint on the Nissan 5HP outboard we've got on our CD25. The paint won't do anything for the interior water passages, though. It also won't protect against electrolysis, so you need to keep an eye on the zinc and replace it when necessary.

We take our outboard out of the water and store it on the stern pulpit. It's 6 years old, and still looks and performs pretty much like new. Getting the thing in and out of the well is a pain, but there are several posts relating to systems of blocks and such to help.
Fair Winds.

Bruce Dart
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CD 26 Constantly in Water

Post by Oswego John »

Hi,

In regard to electrolysis, quite a few people I know spray any submerged metal on their boats with liquid zinc, the aerosol propelled coating that many weldors use to protect a fresh bead. The stuff is about 95% liquid zinc. It dries in a short time and several coats can be applied to build up the protection. The brand that I have used is called Zink-It, although there are many other good brands on the market.

I have heard of others temporarily hanging a Guppie, a block of zinc in the shape of a small fish, in the water near what they want to protect.

As to protecting the motor against marine growth, some time ago I seem to remember someone stating that he dropped a bag of some sort down through the well and then pulled it up around the lower unit of his motor. I don't remember any details about the process. Perhaps someone can refresh our memories and also tell us how effective it had worked for him.

Good luck,
O J
Bruce Dart
Location: Former owner of CD25 Wings O' Morning. Looking for a CD30

Zinc Anodes

Post by Bruce Dart »

Hi, John,

I had never thought of actually painting the lower unit with zinc paint....

What I was referring to was the zinc anode that our outboard has on its lower unit. I assumed all outboards have such zincs.
Fair Winds.

Bruce Dart
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

CD 26 Constantly in Water

Post by George Shaunfield »

John O., the bag for the lower unit that you suggested can be found at http://www.burgees.com/FlushingBag/Default.htm
Another CD owner provided this link to me last year. He said it works well, but is a bit of trouble to get into position. Once in place, he pumps the water out of the bag.

George