Dinghy Gunwall Fender Strip

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Chuck T

Dinghy Gunwall Fender Strip

Post by Chuck T »

Does anyone know where you can get replacement gunwale fender strips for dinghys......I'm thinking of a white rubber/pvc extruded profile sort of thing? I have a 7' all fiberglass dinghy (old) with a sort of half/round gunwale profile. The canvas & foam strip types available from Jamestown Distributors and West Marine seem really to be for dinghys with wooded gunwales....not great for glass boats. I've been tempted to just buy PC hose and slice it down one side and drop it over the gunwale......but I have to believe that there is something available out there somewhere?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am at the final stages of restoring a CD-10 hull #63. It has wood gunnels and I have considered the foam and canvas stuff. There are two profiles 1/2 and 3/4 round. Seems like the 3/4 round stuff would work for you but you know what you have. I being cheap and not wanting to cover up all that wood and drill hundreds of holes in my freshly varnished (on all sides) and reattached woodwork am not too keen on the foam canvas. I think I am going to try a hybred traditional approach. Traditional in that I will use three strand rope but modified by using nylon and glueing it on with dabs of 4200 instead of cotton rope and lacing through holes. I hope it lays well and doesn't streach out. I also considered wraping fire hose around with a small line inside to give it a bit more cushion. The split hose sounds like it would work real nice on a fiberglass lip. Then there are those pool noodles for maximum protection. If not glued in place you could yank em off for sword fights. Have fun, Steve.
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

Gunwale guard

Post by Bill »

Last year I bought 30' of new, white fire hose from a company here in Maine. I split it, then screwed it to the rails of my Walker Bay 10 with ss screws. Nice looking, inexpensive and so far wearing well. Hose about $45 and screws about $15 with about 15 hours of labor. Of course I made it sound easy! Takes some thought and planning. Bill