Dousing a Cruising Spinnaker with a sock.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Dousing a Cruising Spinnaker with a sock.

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've got a cruising spinnaker all ready to go on my CD27. Just waiting for the appropriate time and conditions to try it for the first time. Its fitted with a new ATN sleeve. The tack will be held to the furled furling genny by their "tacker" device and an adjustable downhaul line. I'm using a spinnaker halyard, not a genoa halyard.

The ATN website recommends "blowing the tack" when ready to douse the chute with the sleeve. The tacker has a quick release shackle that makes that easy. The sail is still attached by the sheet and the halyard and the tack just blows back towards the center of the boat.

I've read other recommendations of leaving the tack as is, and just easing the sheet a bit so that the sail collapses behind the let out main when you turn the boat to almost dead downwind.

I've read that all you have to do is blanket the spinnaker with the main (dead downwind) and the sail will collapse...no need to blow or ease anything. Then just lower the ATN and capture the sail.

I'm sure all of these techniques have their pros and cons. I'd be interested in any of YOUR experiences, pro or con, with any or all of these techniques. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

I know I could just go out there and try each of them. I might just do that. But I figured all you smart guys might save me a little grief. :D

Thanks!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Blowing the tack - Gennaker douse

Post by RMeigel »

Warren, it has never been necessary for me to release the tack in order for me to lower the sleeve and douse the sail - granted , there is still sail peeking out and the sock doesn't come down as far as it might otherwise.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Dousing

Post by David Sabourin »

Warren,
The only time we have had difficulty with dousing the chute is when we have waited too long and the wind is up over 15kts. Other than that, just ease the sheet and pull her down. We did put an extra swivel inside the sock at the top where the wire pennant attaches to the sail. That relieved any tension or twisting that may have built up while hauling the sail up.

Good luck,
David
Andy Denmark

behind the main

Post by Andy Denmark »

I've never found it necessary to release the tack. It is very simple to blanket the spin behind the main and pull down the sleeve. It is also important that the sleeve not be so long that the tack and clew are pulled inside the sleeve -- it should stop just short of doing this. A sailmaker can easily make it the correct length if it's too long.

Keep us posted on how this works for you.
________
Z1
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Andy,
The sailmaker did a good job with this and the tack and clew stick out just a little so they are easily accessable.
I understand about blanketing the chute with the mainsail. I also like the idea of having the sail still attached to the boat at all three corners. I only asked the question because of what ATN has on its website with a video showing "blowing the tack". If you look at the video it doesn't look like the mainsail is out all that much and perhaps "blowing the tack" takes the pressure off the chute without having to blanket it with the main.
If your interested here's the link....then just click on "video of ATN products". Its the second product after the top climber.

http://www.atninc.com/index.html

Thanks for the comments. I'll do as you suggest and just blanket the chute with the main. :wink:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
oyster

Post by oyster »

When dousing mine I find that I don't have to ease the tack but do need to ease the sheet a bit especially if I've been carrying it on a close reach. This has the added benefit of compromising the shape and thereby depowering the sail.

Bill
Nor'Sea 27 "Epiphany"
(formerly CD31 "SeaMyth")