Loose tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Schwartz

Loose tiller

Post by Bob Schwartz »

My tiller has about 1 inch or so play in it. (i.e. it is loose so you can move it an inch or so before it connects with the rudder shaft)

I have taken the tiller off and the rudder shaft is a little wallowed out. That could be the problem.

I also noticed that the tiller fitting is like a "C" pointing down. It fits over a square block of metal. The sides of the "C" are wider then the block. If I got a big hammer and did a gorilla trick on the bronze "C" fitting, it would just touch the square block, and the play would be gone (probably?).

I am in a fog. 1) is this normal or typical?, 2) should it be "fixed"?, and 3) what is the best fix?

In the past, I have posted several questions that perplexed me. I have found great wisdom on the board, and I thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Bob Schwartz
CD-27
"Sharryn"

(P.S. - formerly "Long Shot" my installation of a Windpilot screwed up the name so I renamed it after my favorite woman - $60 for the lettering and $84 to the Coast Guard - What a bummer. Have not gone though a renaming ceremony yet - so I hope the Gods are not displeased. Happy sailing - Bob)
Bob Schwartz
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

how I fixed a similar problem

Post by Kurt »

The tiller on my previous boat (CD26) had some play as you describe. To fix it I first measured the play with a set of feeler gauges. Then I went to the local hobby shop and bought some thin sheet brass one half the thickness of the measured play. I then formed a square "C" out of a piece of said brass and wrapped it around the square end of the rudder stock...then re-installed the tiller over the brass...no more play.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

More Ideas

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

The "C" part of the fitting, are you referring to the the upper part of the metal fitting that attachs to the wooden tiller, where it attaches to the lower part that is attached to the rudder post and has one bolt thru it? The bolt allows the tiller to pivot up and down? If yes, be careful about pounding on these fitting, they are cast and dont take kindly to being bent too far (too far is the big question). Try tightening the pivot bolt. Check the pivot holes are round and not elongated. Another point of slop can be the attachment of this lower fitting to the top of the rudder post. There is a square shear pin in there (maybe) and two bolts that that clamp this fitting around the post. Check the integrity of the shear pin (or its existence) and those bolts.