exterior teak refinishing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tim&Betta

exterior teak refinishing

Post by Tim&Betta »

I am re-finishing the teak and I am unsure if and how I should seal the teak before applying varnish (Epifanes). Have searched the board and found plenty of info on this subject. Some have suggested West System, others like CPES. Does anyone have any experience with Interlux Interprime Wood Sealer?
larry williamson

refinishing teak

Post by larry williamson »

I have just totally re teaked my 27. After sanding with 320 sandpaper seal the wood with your varnish thined with the right solvent 2 parts varnish and 1 part solvent.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I have been using Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss and just followed the instructions on the can to thin the first coat. I have had excellent success...it is durable and looks fantastic (many positive comments from dock walkers). I have, however, found that adding coats without the need to sand allows you to build quickly (though not as smooth) and is easy on small pieces but difficult to follow your wet edge on larger pieces (like the coaming boards). I usually put on 3-4 coats then sand and add a 2-3 more coats, then sand and repeat until it is smooth and glossy. After I get it looking good I switch to Epifanes Clear Varnish for the maintenance coats. Great product, great system.

I chose to start with the Wood Finish product because it states on the can that it is formulated "for teak" where other varnish products state that they should not to be used on oily woods like teak.
boogie

Post by boogie »

I have been using Epifanes Wood finish Gloss as instructed, the results are great. I am sanding(lightly) between coats that show some imperfection and I finish with two coats of Epifanes Matt, to break the glossy look. After all the coats are laid, I am tired and happy with the look and resiliency of the covering. I have been consulted by the Manufacturer agent at the boat show to clean the wood and in between the coats with Denatured Alcohol and not Acetone, to prevent from the air bubbles usual trouble.
Jacob Bogatch