Advice on using "Peel-Away" for removing bottom p

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Advice on using "Peel-Away" for removing bottom p

Post by Guest »

I just purchased a Typhoon and want to remove the existing multiple layers of bottom paint. I'm not sure what paint was used by the prior owner and I've decided it would be better to remove all the existing paint right down to the gelcoat. Has anyone had experience using "Peel-Away" for this purpose? I noticed they offer two types. One for use when you want the barrier coat to stay in place, and one that removes everything right down to the gelcoat.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.
Jerry S.

Peel Away

Post by Jerry S. »

We are using Peel Away to strip the bottom paint off our Typhoon. We are using the type that will take off all the paint. It took two coats to get close to the gel coat on the paint above the waterline. We haven't removed below the waterline yet, but we are about to begin when the weather warms up again. I have found that I need to sand some final layers off after using the Peel away. I'm uncertain if another coat would get the final layers, but they are coming off fast enough with the sander, so I'm not going to bother using more Peel Away in these areas. I find the product to work well enough that I wouldn't want to attempt sanding without applying Peel Away first. As I said, it doesn't remove the paint all the way to the gel coat. The boat dealer who recommended it to me said there are certain paint coatings that it will not cut through - maybe that's what I am experiencing. My advise is to lay it on thick - it seems as if it absorbs into the paint and thinner layers remove less and require more applications resulting in equivalent material usage. I believe they recommend 1/16 to 1/8 thick. I plan to go 1/8 thick on the remaining paint below the waterline and let it sit 24 hours before stripping it off; according to the instructions, temperature will dictate the length of time you will need to let it sit. I have never used a paint stripper before, so I don't have anything to compare this to.

Hope this helps.

Jerry.
Jerry S
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

It's a lot of sloppy work!

Post by DanaVin »

We used it to get the paint down to the barrier coat on GE when we were totally redoing her.
If I remember right, we had to put a waxed type paper over the goopy stuff. Guess it helps keep the chemical reaction or heat in or something.
We really gobbed it on good, though, and still had to do it twice.
We scraped the old stuff off pretty easy when we waited an hour or so for it to work. My back was hurting after that job, believe me!
Other than that, I'd use it again if I had to do it all over.
One silly footnote: When I applied the second coat of two-part primer, I was tired and forgot to add the hardener to the primer.
I waited a week beforfe checking her so i could apply my first coat of bottom paint. Guess what? The primer coat was still wet and sticky! To make a long story longer, I had to remove it all and start all over again. Just that sloppy second coat, not anything else.
Don't work with any two-part items if you're tired! That's the best advice I could give anyone. Even the two-part deck paint. That was job, also!
Pictures at:
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
Thanks. Hope this helps in some little way.
Dana
Jerry S.

Gladys Erzella restoration

Post by Jerry S. »

Wow! Great job on the restoration of your Cape Dory 25'.

Jerry.
Jerry S
DanaVin

Thanks!

Post by DanaVin »

Appreciate the kind words. She's still a work in progress (aren't all sailboats?). I've just completed installing SSB marine radio, new 55w halogen deck light, shroud guards, interior shelves, teak holding tank cover and a few other items. I hope to post those pictures soon.
Thanks again.
Dana
Jerry S.

Please see my other post

Post by Jerry S. »

I mistakenly posted a response to your question as a separate post. If you would like to see more information on Peel Away please go to the post titled "Peel Away to keel" by Jerry S.

Jerry
Jerry S
Jerry S.

Dana - pictures

Post by Jerry S. »

Hi Dana,

I would very much enjoy to see more pictures as you post them. I am happy now to have a Typhoon, but as the generalization goes, I am already thinking about a bigger boat!

Jerry
Jerry S
DanaVin

Trailerable or not? That is the question.

Post by DanaVin »

I feel the same way at times. But then I remember why I bought her originally. My criteria was mainly the largest, well built, sea going sailboat that could be hauled with my 3/4 ton pickup.
I took my best friend out on her once and when we boarded her, I told him he was to do everything. I would be crew and assist as necessary. Well, wouldn't you know it? He fell in love with sailing and bought a '96 Hunter 376. Beautiful boat but I wouldn't want it knowing what he has gone through to get a slip, pay some repair bills and his maintenance, upkeep costs. I wanted something more economical that I could trailer down to Mexico and sail there. I could haul her out during the off season (May thru Oct.) and store her in a yard or even at our place. I couldn't very well do that with anything larger. The CD 25's are just right for me and my wife and we love her. She's now a part of the family. Bigger is not always better. Ever notice how many of the larger sailboats just sit at their slips? On any given day (at least in San Diego) you'll see many more smaller sailboats out on the water than you will the big fellows. I was told once that the owners have difficulty finding some "crew" to assist them. Of course, if a CD30 or 33 came along I'd have to really think twice! LOL!
Thanks, :D
Dana
Jerry S.

Sailing is the thing.

Post by Jerry S. »

I agree with your logic. I would rather have a boat that I can sail often rather than one that is over the limit of resources in maintenance, overhead and crew necessities. Single handing is also one of my requirements.

How do you find towing your boat? Does it go down the road nicely? I have a Toyota Tundra, this is a half ton with about 7200 lbs towing capacity; how do you think it would work towing a boat such as yours?

Jerry.
Jerry S
DanaVin

Towing truck handling...

Post by DanaVin »

I know nothing about the truck you mentioned although I've seen quite a few of them. I bought mine used actually to tow the travel trailer we have. My wife's Explorer really didn't have the guts to do the job right even though we did take it to Portland a few years ago. When I wanted to get the boat, I didn't give it a second thought. The truck, a '94 Chevy 3/4 ton, 4 x 4, 350 V8, oil and transmission cooler, has been great. The longer wheelbase makes handling the heavy boat just fine. At least it's able to climb the long, sometimes hard grades of the So. Calif. hilly interstates.
The 4x4 comes in to play when bringing her out of the water at a slippery boat ramp. I'd guesstimate the boat and trailer probably weigh in at around 5, 000# ro more.
I've driven the truck down to Jalisco state in Mexico (1500 + miles) without a problem (in fact it's there now), so when I haul the boat down I don't expect any major issues. Not the best on economy, though. W/O a load I've managed to get almost 16 mpg; with a load it drops down to around 10.5 to 11 mpg. This going at 55 mph, the legal limit in CA. I've been thinking of a newer model 3/4 ton with a diesel. Handling is fine, no issues and of course, very slow turns and corners.
Thanks
Dana